just baby 2 leafers turnin yeller?

lack of h2o, too much, lack o sun?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Likely the latter...

Do you have city water?

HG

trigger

I do not have city water. I do believe I started them too early, the weather has not warmed up around here as quickly as I anticipated. I have them indoors, but I bring them outside into the sunlight every day.

I have regular fluorescent lightbulbs, do you think that would help for the lack of light?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

What kind of soil did you plant them in? Is there a chance that the soil is acidic, like is the case with peat moss? That can cause a tomato plant to turn yellow. Also, the spectrum of light can cause a plant to be somewhat yellow green. If the plant looks healthy other wise then perhaps try a different type of bulb. Here is some advice from TZ-OH6. "The best light output for growing plants from a non-plant type bulb is a "daylight" tube with a color temperature of over 6000K (I think they are 6300K)." The number is written on the tube.

Here is the thread that talks about the best kinds of bulbs to use.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=63140&sid=bdd4b220c4d62175fe272848968b1fce

Finally, here is one of my plants that was started under a bulb with the wrong output. The plant colored up and did just fine after getting in more balanced light. Their color is exaggerated because photo was taken in the light of the bulb involved.

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3621/3318448033_9610183ba2.jpg[/img]

trigger

thank you for the info, the soil was a worm casting, sandy, home compost mix, no clue on the ph level.

some of my larger 4 n 6 leafed plants have a red/purple tint, is this normal?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

As long as they look healthy otherwise I wouldn't worry. Sometimes my plants take on different pigments depending upon the light and conditions. When place in natural light they will color up property and will start growing very quickly.

Cirtes

trigger wrote:thank you for the info, the soil was a worm casting, sandy, home compost mix, no clue on the ph level.

some of my larger 4 n 6 leafed plants have a red/purple tint, is this normal?
This sounds like super strong soil. Compost and Worm Castings should be used as an amendment to a good potting soil. It appears they comprise the majority of your mix.

I would go out and get a good bag of potting mix from your favorite garden center and transplant the seedling post-haste. No need to add anything else for 2 months.

Then use the worm castings and compost as a top dressing once your toms are a couple-few feet tall.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Purple is normal. Soil sounds great, but the one possible concern would be unfinished compost (with twigs and leaves still indetifiable as such) robbing nitrogen (as the fungal and bacterial components needed to break down lignins are nitrogen dependent, taking it from the soil) That would cause chlorosis (yellowing) as well...but I still think it is likely lighting.

Was your compost finished?

HG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

As HG said the purple tint, especially on the underside of the tomato leaves is normal. The yellow isn't. It's not likely lack of water, but it could be too much water. If they are sitting in water or in peat pots or something that holds moisture in, that could yellow them.

trigger

In regards to the compost, it is "finished compost".

I am using all recycled materials for my pots, and the rest of my gardening and greenhouse. The plants that I have started in my house are in pop bottles that have been cut in half, yogurt containers, cans, etc. (All thoroughly cleaned, with holes in the bottoms). some of the leaves fell off of my pepper plants, but otherwise all my plants are nice and green, besides the tomatoes.

thanks for all of the input!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”