Earl K
Green Thumb

SHOULD I TOP MY SWEET 100?

I am growing a sweet 100 in a 5 gal. bucket,it is only 4-5 weeks from planting and is already almost 4 feet tall.I have read that these things will grow to amazing heights,will cutting the top off stop its towering? and what type of affect would that have on my young plant? I really don't want to do this but it is inside my pool enclosure and at this rate would be touching the top in a month or so.thanks in advance for any feedback

tomatodude

Cutting off the top would stop the growth, but also severely stop production.
Most of the young blossoms are located at the top.
Tomatoes can be grown in 5 gal containers, but it's a bit more of a chore to keep them watered and fertilized. Your best bet would to let it grow and keep a close eye on watering and support it.

Earl K
Green Thumb

thanks tomatodude,I wont touch it I'll just deal with it.there are alot of boossoms near the top.I am amazed at the growth rate of this plant.plan on getting lots of fruit off this plant,already have about 6 branches with about 12-18 tomatos per branch. nothing turning red yet,I am anxious,I just want to pick my first homegrown fruit.

Rob
Cool Member

On the other hand, you may want to find a bit of a bigger container, and plant it very deep, so that only the top 4 or 5 stem / leaves are above the soil. Essentially you want to bury 75% of the plant.
My understanding is that all those little hairs along the main stem of the plant will turn into nutrient absorbing roots when buried deep.

tomatodude

I would agree with a bigger container but at this point, the roots have already set, and that any disruption would lead to...disaster..this plant is already in a 5 gallon container,,how would you bury it deeper?

Just Keep a regular watering and fertilizer regimen..
Once a week feed it a dosage of liquid seaweed...diluted of course.

Rob
Cool Member

[img]https://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/1003/722582.JPG[/img]

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”