HonoluluGirl

How do you collect and save okra seeds?

I have some okra fruit that I've left on the plant to grow large so I can collect seeds from them. How do I know when the pods are ready to pick and de-seed? How do you separate the seeds from the pod, and do you need to process the seeds in any way before storing them? Do they need to be stored in an airtight container? Thanks!

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I leave one or 2 on the plant untill it starts to dry out and then I pick it and break it open and then let the seeds dry out in a paper envelope.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I always plant too much okra because it starts out slow. We can all eat from the first harvest from a 20 ft row. Several weeks later a whole the row makes enough okra for 40 people. Fall comes and the plant dry out and die the okra pods dry out too I cut them off and put them in 5 gallon buckets. The pods split open and the seeds fall into the buckets. I have about 2 gallons of seeds.

Wonder is okra seeds can be used in bean soup?

LonghornRancher

The seeds can be cooked like you would cook dry beans. They taste kind of like Black Eyed Peas. I have heard of folks grinding them as a coffee substitute as well, but I have not been desperate enough to try that.

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”