nitlsu
Newly Registered

Help with drainage from flower bed

We recently moved into a home where there's a flower bed enclosed on all sides by concrete (See picture). We noticed that quite often the bed gets waterlogged.

In digging deeper, we found that the two gutters drain to a single popup emitter (see red arrows). I am suspecting that due to the stone flower bed edging being higher and installed later, the popup emitter is not tall enough and is bent backwards, discharging the storm water back into the flower bed causing it to get water logged.

Looking for some creative solutions on how I can get better drainage in the flower bed? Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_1040.JPG

JohnnyB60

It’s hard to say without knowing how large the concrete area is or if there is a lower area close by to drain to.
I had a similar situation that worried me more about the house foundation. I first bought large planter boxes to move the plants above ground which solved the root issue but not the foundation problem. I was lucky that the surrounding concrete was a 4ft wide sidewalk and I was able to poke a hole under the sidewalk and push a drain pipe through to the gutter downspout.
You could also redirect the downspouts to the top of the concrete by cutting them up above the concrete as long as the concrete slops away from the house and move the plants above the concrete in planter boxes.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

You will need to cut it lower than the walls, and put some kind of screen on it to keep it from clogging.

Return to “Landscaping”