veetor
Newly Registered

Help with curb appeal with new house

Just brought a house and the front is really plain looking. I would like to put in bushes that have pretty flowers. In my town I see lots of houses with these bushes but I can't find any in stores, only small bushes. Also I would like some ideas for dress up the steps. Thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I don't have as much experience as many members on here but since you haven't received I response I figured I would chime in!

You have a blank slate so it really depends on how much garden you want. Softening that broad white backdrop with some substantial shrubs will definitely help! What I've learned from others on this site is that foundation plantings tend to be too straight and narrow. I would start with creating a deep garden bed with ample room for shrubs and plants to mature without being squished against the house. Curve the border rather than creating a rectangular garden bed. Nurseries often sell small shrubs because they are young, easier to transplant, and often less expensive. Keep in mind that they will grow and fill in! Do some research on what you want for multi-seasonal interest and talk to your local nurseries for recommendations.

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

I'm not an expert on landscaping either, but with such a large yard, you have room to plant a couple of trees for shade, and then you could make some nice outdoor summer sitting areas, or some shady spots for BBQing. Or maybe you could build a gazebo that you can grow some vines on? In reality, you have enough room to do almost anything.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

One thing I would do is to tame the big foundation on the house with some hedges. you could plant some flowers in front of them. A nice row of flowers along the fence would be nice, my mom had a white picket fence and had roses growing all along them, so I am partial to that idea. You could plant hedges along that brick house next to you to give yourself some privacy. The tree idea is a good one but do be careful of planting them to close to your house, the roots can attack your foundation and the leaves can ruin your roof. The gazebo idea is a good one, too. You could also have vegetable garden some place in the yard.

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

tomf wrote:One thing I would do is to tame the big foundation on the house with some hedges. you could plant some flowers in front of them. A nice row of flowers along the fence would be nice, my mom had a white picket fence and had roses growing all along them, so I am partial to that idea. You could plant hedges along that brick house next to you to give yourself some privacy. The tree idea is a good one but do be careful of planting them to close to your house, the roots can attack your foundation and the leaves can ruin your roof. The gazebo idea is a good one, too. You could also have vegetable garden some place in the yard.

Good call Tom F, I forgot to advise against planting trees too close to the house...oops! LOL :oops: But come think of it, before planting a tree, you should probably check where your sewer line or septic tank is too. I would plant vegetables personally, but I'm nutty for vegetable growing. If I built a gazebo, I would plant grapes and sweet peas to grow around it, LOL! :-()

Return to “Landscaping”