gofarmer
Newly Registered

Long term solutions for stopping weeds on drive

We only stay at our home in Bulgaria from May to October and always get back to loads of weeds all over the gravel drive. I have tried salt and that seemed to work a little and have heard vinegar is an option.

Things like GroundClear have been recommended but read horror stories of this killing trees nearby etc. And not sure can get here in Bulgaria.

Any ideas?

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I see you have some kind of farm thing going on, could you get a local to grade the driveway for you. I have a 1/4 mile I do with a tractor, it keep the weeds down and smooths over the road. Salt can leech into the ground water and kill as well as other things.

gofarmer
Newly Registered

Not sure what you mean by grade the driveway but given the locals still use donkeys and horse and cart for most things probably not! And can't really give them access to do anything like that. More looking for something I can spray on for a longer term solution to stop stuff growing as soon as spring comes.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>something I can spray on for a longer term solution to stop stuff growing as soon as spring comes.

sort of stuff like Agent Orange, what you are looking for does not exist because . . . weed seeds keep blowing in from other areas.

so the only option for a permanent solution is to poison the driveway / access road "ground" to the point that _nothing_ can germinate or grow there.

the impact on other immediate parts of the environment may or may not be acceptable; there are no "chemicals" available in western countries that will accomplish that goal, but perhaps some from Chernobyl.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with cynthia that there really isn't any acceptable long term chemical solution. The chemicals break down over time and the seeds come in from elsewhere - nature abhors a vacuum! It would help if you could seal it better -- put down some kind of barrier (heavy plastic sheeting or tarp or whatever) under the gravel. Or of course asphalt it.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Boiling water will kill weeds when applied directly to them. Pull out the weeds the next day; they'll come out more easily than if you just try to take them out from a "standing start."

Sadly, the boiling water will kill any subsurface life, like earthworms, but it will help with the weeds and will also kill any weed seeds that birds have dropped over the winter months or that the wind has blown in over the winter.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

gofarmer
Newly Registered

Thanks for suggestions but research shows there are several chemicals available that stop weed growth for 6 months, some for around 12 months (Borax, Pramatol, Ground Clear). I am quite happy to 'kill' the ground so nothing can grow.

Salt in large concentrations has certainly helped so may try adding vinegar as well.

Return to “Landscaping”