drainey0

first organic home grown tomatoe

currently enjoying my first ever self grown organic tomato sandwich. I will say this I have learned a lot this season one this is it is very possible to grow 3 tomato plant and a single pepper plant in a 2 by 2 ft raised garden bed and 2 buying premium dr earth soil was not money wasted at all and 3 it is actually possible to grow a whole plant from a broken tomatoes branch.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Congratulations! Nothing better!

Good job re: it is actually possible to grow a whole plant from a broken tomatoes branch.

I have heard that, but never tried it.

nltaff

RG, Remember that greenhouse 'steak I grew last winter? I accidentally broke off a 3' branch so I took a half-gallon pot, filled with soil and buried that branch. Kept watering and the leaves all wilted (I also cut off anything that looked like a blossom) for about a week and a half, 2 weeks. It happened overnight and quickly, the leaves perked up and it grew. I cut down the "mother plant" (about mid-May), and put that branch in the SBG. Had 'steak tomatoes ripening by end of June (unheard of here). That was an indeterminate plant. I wonder if a branch from a determinate would do the same. I'll try it this winter. One thing I noticed though, that original plant produced some large tomatoes 3-4" across. Out in the SBG, the branch from the plant is producing only 2" tomatoes. Curious.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

YAAAAAS! Way to GO!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”