drainey0

Something wrong with my cucumber plant

The other day after a very hard rain I noticed my cucumber plant had fallen over. the stick holding it up had broke and the plant simple fell down starting at the base ever since then the plant has stopped growing and won't produce any more and the leaves are changing. Is this blight that I have or is the plant dying due to the damage it received from fallen over here are some pics below. I'm guessing the plants broke away from its roots when it fell. just wanna get a second opinion.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Last edited by drainey0 on Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

drainey0

I should also add that I'm pretty sure it's not due to me not watering enough or to much I've watered that the same everyday for the last 3 months and it hasn't been fine up until that day I came home to the being side ways

drainey0

Anyone?

applestar
Mod

Well, I was thinking maybe the stem actually broke -- vascular tissues actually ruptured inside?

Do you see any thickening? maybe just below the soil surface? It might heal... If it was growing in the ground, I would recommend leaving it laying down on the ground and burying at least several inches to a foot up the stem.

...Also, the container looks small in the picture -- is it just the angle? If the plant is now root bound -- hit the sides of the container, it would exhibit yellowing and die-back.

imafan26
Mod

I thought because it had rained, it would be something along the lines of downy mildew. The leaves looked a bit mottled. I would still remove the lower leaves, bag and trash just in case. The picture was a little out of focus but I think the stem was ok, I see the stake next to it. I think it is in a 5 gallon bucket.

drainey0

It is a 5 gallon bucket. Befor you say that's to small I'll let you know the plant was thriving in this bucket right up until it fell over its had like 6 cucumbers growing on it and was producing more up until the plant fell over.

drainey0

The plant has yet to stop browning I'm almost certain now the stem broke off from the roots when it fell over

imafan26
Mod

I am sorry to hear that. Five gallons is enough to grow cukes. Next time if it is on the ground you can heel it in or bury a couple of inches of the base into the soil so it won't tip so easily or build a box for it to stabilize it. I have the same problem with tall pots that are wider on top than the bottom. I had a tomato on a 5 ft trellis that kept toppling over in the wind even with support stakes. I ended up having to drive rebar into the ground to anchor the supports better. I replaced the garden stakes with bamboo that fit over the rebar. tent poles will work too, I have done that. Bamboo is just easy for me to get and easy to ram onto the stakes and they last a few years. I use green stripe bamboo about 2.5 inches in diameter and I can get them any length I want.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”