kilojay619
Newly Registered

Silkworm castings

I first want to say thanks for viewing my thread but heres whats going on I currently go threw a lot of silkworms for my reptiles in the summer months because the mulberry trees are in bloom and thats all the silkworms eat.  Feeding lots of silkworms equals lots of castings (poop) and I was wondering if anyone else had tried using silkworm castings.  The silkworms eat fresh mulberry leaves 3x a day if you look closely in the photos your can see the dried up bits of uneaten stems and leaves. I have been currently using it as a top dressing and soil amendment. I have more than I can use so if any one is interested in testing out some silkworm compost drop me a line.

I have been growing organically for the lst 2 seasons now and love every thing about it! I have been searching for some of the best and affordable nutrients and I currently have a surplus of silkworms that I use to feed to my reptiles. I wanted some more experienced growers thoughts on adding silkworm casting to my compost bin.
Attachments
IMG_1477.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know anything about it. But earthworm castings are reputed to be a wonderful soil amendment, very nutrient rich with a nice loose texture that fluffs your soil. I have had worm bins in the past and used the worm castings, to great benefit in my garden. It seems like your silk worm castings would be similar. What an exotic thing to have to add to your soil!!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”