jessjasjam

"Organic, but not for foodsource purposes?"

I bought a bag of supposedly organic potting soil to use in making potting mix (got the recipe from the veggie forum). On the front, it says it's organic, usda-approved (little green logo etc) potting mix, great for veggies. But on the back there is a little disclaimer that says it is "not certified organic when used for food-growing purposes." What the heck??

shadylane
Green Thumb

The USDA as we have known it in the past, do not go by the same standards, has changed their graphic charts as to what is excepted in being organic.
For example, the foods we buy. You think they are organic due to the front cover stating USDA organic. Something you should trust. But when you turn over and read the ingredients you see "flavorings" added, this includes natural flavorings. Which it is MSG hiding under the covers. Why? As it is stated from the USDA (not quote per quote) their job has increased in checking out all those companies that proclaim they are ORGANIC. And can not keep up with products claiming as so. So the USDA let them go on a lower standards of quality.

I assume this is the same case on your potting soil. At a guess I am thinking they are using some type of chemical building in the potting soil, for instance Nitrogen. Probably making a reel and deal right from the slaughter house by having just enough of manure or animal hair. I'm certain that it isn't composted, which would not have the microorganisms, nor beneficial organisms in it to prevent disease, and to benefit plants healthy growth.
Organic living, as contrasted with inorganic, non-living manufactured materials.
That is my thoughts on the matter...And I include bone meal and blood meal...as manufactured. I do not use it.

jessjasjam

That's very interesting. I've never gardened organically, since I've had a shared plot and it was hopeless to try to convince the other two to not pour on the MiracleGro. But I'd really like to, as I've found that eating organic helps a great deal with the symptoms of the immune disorder I have (whole other can of worms there!).

What do you usually use for your plants? I am in a small apartment now, and gardening in containers, so I'm guessing they will need added nutrients with such limited soil.

shadylane
Green Thumb

I suppose I've been fortunate, I started using earth, as a beginner. And not very knowledgeable at that with plants and soil needs, I too used chemicals. That has been over 25 years now of getting off the chemical trail of thinking that it must be used in order to have that one huge strawberry, (as an example) that make up for five regular berries and has no more nutrients, nor taste in them than a small organic berry. But enough of that...

Again I say I've been fortunate, as to you living in a apartment. I made an area for composting. Its taken awhile in learning, but you learn by getting your hands dirty. I use compost by layering it on top of the earth already established for my plants. Sow your seeds or add your plants that you have started. Then once they take off place compost again around your plants. It is a great benefit to them, and your self by harvesting nutritious food.
Perhaps you can start a small compost off to the side of your counter top, in an closed container collect some small veggie remains, It will start to decompose and add it into your soil of your containers. Dig it in a little without harming the plant. It will compost in time. Pay attention to those numbers you see on stickers fruits and veggies, example a orange, it reads #900876 it is saying "Yes, I'm organic" in comparison to an orange # 36540 or # 49706 They are really saying " I'm about to die with all these chemicals that I grew into". Ok a little over done but I'm sure you understand that I'm saying what you put into your compost is what you are going to eat.
There are some great beginner questions with answers in the organic compost forum. Try looking into compost tea. I have probably done a shoddy job of answering your question.. But I do Hope all is well for you :)
here is a site on compost tea
I have been hearing and reading about compost teas and still have a lot questions. some questions that have are if you are using ...here is a site from helpfulgardener on compost tea

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=46167

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, you are right. The smaller the container/amount of soil, the more nutrients must be added from outside, until you get to hydroponic growing where there is no soil and all the nutrients are supplied all the time. That makes it harder to garden organically in small containers, because many organic sources of nutrients are not very concentrated. You will need to look for a good organic fertilizer like Dr.Earth, that has a lot of different nutrients plus mycorrhizae and beneficial soil microbes.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”