MasonSebastian

Using Used Coffee Grounds

Hi there. I got this used coffee grounds from Starbucks and used it on my Ashitaba, Chili, and Coleus. I noticed some web-like thing with small yellowgreen dots. Should I cover the grounds with soil/medium or should I dig and throw them away?

applestar
Mod

UCG are nutritious and mold will grow in them if left in a thick layer or clump exposed on top of the soil. They can also dry out and shed/repel water. Most people agree its better to scratch/rake them into the soil or cover with mulch. Don't worry if there are mold already growing.

DON'T THROW IT AWAY :shock: ..... :wink:

MasonSebastian

I meant to throw the top grounds lol. Anyway, I will just let the mold grow, perhaps cover the top with coco peat :) thanks!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Stir it into dirt. One finger will do the trick.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Put them in your worm bin!!

imafan26
Mod

Coffee grounds can go into the compost too.

Make sure the coffee grounds are spread out and not in a heap.

MasonSebastian

Ok, noticed this just now. Last Saturday, I mixed some of the coco peat with ucg which I dried for a week. I used the mixture to put the transplanted basil and a couple of chilis (they are all more than 6 inches tall). I left them out in the shade with 2 hours of light just to get them used to the new soil, and watered them just once. When I checked out today, the top budding leaves have yellowish color from the stem up to the middle leaf. Could this be too much N or I still need to put them in minimal light for another day?

hazmae
Newly Registered

I put moldy coffee grounds on my garden by my peas. The mold seemed to crawl up the pea plants killing them.

applestar
Mod

The mold on peas may not be the same mold. Peas are susceptible to powdery mildew.

The coffee grounds WILL get moldy if left on the surface of the soil and stays moist. It’s better to rake or hoe them in. Careful around the plants.

Also, when mulching around plants, NEVER allow mulch to touch the plant stem — always leave about 2 inches (yes you’ll have to hand-pull weeds that pop up in the gap.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”