Susan W
Greener Thumb

Hugelkultur

This topic has been mentioned, but hadn't gone far, so bringing it back, especially as we clean up and prepare new beds.

I have a relatively unused area of yard, part sun and looking to put something there (nothing fussy, but can be productive). I also have a stack of older wood that was never cut up for the fireplace. The logs are at the biggest 10", perhaps 2' long. I am thinking to map out an area, approx 4 x 8 and put the logs there. Well 1st put down newspaper/cardboard. Then add any twigs from the messy pecan trees etc. Then fill with dirt, compost, bagged manure, more dirt so it is basically a raised bed. To hold it together will have sides sloping and mulch heavily with bagged mulch like shredded hardwood.

In doing a google brief, am a bit confused. One reason for the logs is to hold water. That is good, but I would think more for nutrients as it breaks down. I saw pics of hugel beds that are like mounds with real logs. Yikes! No where did I see how the wood breaks down, and the whole mound shrinks downward.

Well if nothing else a fun project to think about as I sit inside!

BluesJay

Interesting concept, I've never ever heard of doing that. Where I'm located if I bury wood, I get termites after a while and lots of them :eek:

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”