garden5
Super Green Thumb

Strawberries and Microbes!

[url=https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jpln.200800121/abstract]Here[/url] is a great article I found while researching how to grow strawberries.It talks about how phosphate-solubilizing microbes improve yields in strawberry plants. It just goes to show how the biology in the soil is so much effective at nourishing plants than we are with our commercial fertilizers.

The strawberry patch was amended with a phosphorous fertilizer and microbes were then added. Note the sentence: "Both microorganisms increased yields beyond the maximum achievable yield with sole P-fertilizer addition."

Lunacy
Cool Member

I sure it's a great article, I understood your post, but the actual article was way beyond my understanding. I am a second year gardener and only a high school graduate, thanks for dumbing down this tech stuff so I can grow better strawberries.

applestar
Mod

Thanks for bumping this thread. I haven't had the chance to check out g5's link and almost forgot! :o

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

More information on Bacillus FS-3
ABSTRACT
The effects of phosphate solubilizing bacterium (Bacillus FS-3) application on phosphorus contents of tomato
(Lycopersicon esculentum L.) plant, growing performance and phosphorus forms in soil were evaluated under greenhouse
condition. Five different phosphorus fertilizer treatments (normal superphosphate, triple superphosphate,
di-ammonium phosphate, phosphoric acid, and rock phosphate) with and without bacterium (Bacillus FS-3) were
applied in pots as 344 kg P/ha. Basal fertilizers were applied to all the pots as 180 kg N/ha (NH4NO3 33% N),
100 kg K/ha (K2SO4 50% K2O). The results obtained showed that phosphorus availability from soil increased with
phosphate solubilizing bacterium (PSB) application. The amount of plant available form of soil phosphorus fraction
(resin-Pi + NaHCO3-Pi + NaHCO3-Po + NaOH-Pi + NaOH-Po) increased with PSB application. In all fertilizer
types, bacteria application converted approximately 20% of less available phosphorus into labile forms. Statistically
significant differences were obtained in shoot and root dry weight of tomato plants treated with PSB application. In
all of the fertilizers, plant shoot and root weight and P uptake were greater with PSB applications than without PSB.
The highest shoot-root dry weight and P uptake of plant were determined in triple superphosphate (TSP) with PSB
application treatment. The data in the present study suggest that the application of PSB (FS-3) may increase the
availability of soluble phosphate by dissolving the inorganic forms of phosphate and that bacterial strain tested in
this study has a potential to be used as a bio-fertilizer in sustainable and organic agriculture.
7 page PDF file

https://journals.uzpi.cz/publicFiles/00053.pdf

Eric

soil
Greener Thumb

homemade compost is a great source for these microbes, strawberries love compost.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Code: Select all

homemade compost is a great source for these microbes, strawberries love compost[quote]

and Eric loves strawberries.  :D 

I agree. I will stick to soil building with compost and no till.

Eric[/quote]

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”