rsolis251

Mango leaves for mulch?

Hey I have a mango tree that usually has a god bit of dry leaves around it. I was reading that leaves can be used for mulching. Are mango leaves good for this and how is it done?

lorax
Greener Thumb

Mango leaves are great for mulching mango trees, but not much else - they've got an assortment of strong terpenes in them that other plants don't tend to like very much. Basically, to use them as mulch, wait until they're dried out and then pile them over the soil at the base of the tree.

IGNATZGARDENER
Newly Registered

I have 3 mango trees in Port St Lucie Florida and each year after they are done fruiting I prune them back and save the leaves for my fall vegetable garden. I use them for mulch and at the end of the season I rake them up rather than digging them in. They break down slowly and are easy to manipulate. My fall garden is usually tomato, eggplant, green beans and cabbage.

imafan26
Mod

You can use a lot of leaves as mulch, but you can also put it in the compost pile. When we had a mango tree nothing grew near it or on the bark. I did suspect it had aleopathic properties.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”