gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Still waiting for my DVD :D

cherlynn
Cool Member

:D Scott, I was just informed that our Garden Club in Colchester CT will be prescreening "A Chemical Reaction"!!! How fortunate we are! I have already reserved my seat, as they are limited. I do hope that publicity from this event will prompt more people to see the film when it becomes more available...and move us to take the same steps as our northern neighbors! Thank you for your part in promoting this film and sharing your knowledge.

I've been away from the forum...busy with family health issues. Hopefully, I will now be able to spend some time with my favorite forum!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Well, Cherlynn, yours truly might have had SOMETHING to do with that... :wink: Don't forget I AM a homeboy...

Glad you can make it, and make sure you come see me after (as I will be one of the presenters). I am always excited to meet THG folk in "real" life.

And for those without an invite to this sneak preview (sorry, but this one IS by invite only), the official Connecticut premiere will be a Mar. 7th matinee at 2 pm at Cinestudios at Hartford; we just finalized the arrangements. There is no more beautiful place to see a movie in Connecticut, and CTNOFA has been very gracious in sponsoring us. I look forward to seeing you all there as well...

HG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It would be great to find out where and when this will be shown around the country. I am subscribed to several garden related ventures around here but you never know if I might have missed the one that will be showing or relating this presentation to the public.

Dono

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

For developing news on showings, simply subscribe to Paul's blog at [url=https://www.safelawns.org/blog/]www.safelawns.org[/url] and get it right from the horses mouth!

HG

cherlynn
Cool Member

:wink: I must confess...Scott, I knew that you were involved with the presentation of the film in Colchester! I have been emailing our president of the garden club...actually, I was one of the members who initially wrote to her about the film last summer. I'm thrilled that she met you, that you offered us the showing and that we will be meeting soon.

How wonderful to hear that the first official Connecticut showing of "A Chemical Reaction" will be at the Cinestudios in Hartford on March 7th! Hmm...I'll need to start spreading the word! A second viewing would be good for me... as well as meeting like minded people....
Last edited by cherlynn on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

The Helpful Gardener wrote:For developing news on showings, simply subscribe to Paul's blog at [url=https://www.safelawns.org/blog/]www.safelawns.org[/url] and get it right from the horses mouth!

HG
Done, thanks now if I can remember to keep checking in I have so much going on.

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

As further example, do you know who eats the most fleas? That's right, nematodes. Steinernema is the most common genus of nematode and the natural control for the little buggers. Kill all the todes with some chemical death-from-above, and you eliminate the fleas predator and thus... you are just kicking holes in the ecosystem and Nature fills them with what's at hand; that's how she rolls...
I'd like to start up a discussion about the factors involved in eliminating said nematodes as well as other harmful guys. Not sure where to begin or maybe there is already a thread out there but this sort of thing is very interesting to me to learn about.

As far as the movie and interview goes I found them both very wonderful but I am very upset over what some people are selling to make profit. I am really just sick of corrupt people and I think they deserve to be weeded themselves.

Gerrie

Most university extension centers can direct you to places that sell natural/organic products. We are fortunate to have Grange co-ops here and a fabulous county master gardener program with volunteers. But guess who's coming to town, guys? Joel Salatin! To talk about sustainable practices and food for life, I can hardly wait, I tried to get tickets today but the site is giving me trouble.

Great news Scott about the film, it's about time, isn't it?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hey Gerrie

Enjoy Joel; I loved his book "Everything I Want To Do Is Illegal". And some real common sense agricultural ideas that show how completely biased our government has become to mass-market factory-style agriculture.

And the movie is certainly eye-opening and will at least start the conversation. But it is also a great story, one that I suspect will become told for a very long time. June Irwin joins [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wangari_Maathai]Wangari Maathai[/url], [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Carson]Rachel Carson[/url], [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lois_Gibbs]Lois Gibbs[/url], [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandana_Shiva]Vadana Shiva[/url] in the ranks of my personal heroes. In defense of nature there are no stronger shields than those on feminine arms...

HG
Last edited by The Helpful Gardener on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gerrie

Ordered my book! Amazon has it for $16.00 and change. Scheduled to ship 3/1. Looks very interesting and tons to learn, I'll become a good gardener yet!

I looked up some of the women you were talking about (thanks for the links) and realized I was familiar with the works of some of them, but not their names. I also so admire the man who won the Nobel a couple years ago for establishing a bank that gave women small loans to start businesses- I think it was in Pakistan or Bangledesh. Have you read THREE CUPS OF TEA? Greg Mortensen-another hero.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Gerri while you are waiting for that book give [url=https://gyanpedia.in/tft/Resources/books/onestraw.pdf]One Straw Revolution[/url] a read. It's in pdf. form so enjoy. I just finished it the other day and it is a great book. There are others on here that will agree.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Gerrie thank you for the lead. I look forward to reading that...

And an excellent recommendation from Gixx. I am in the midst of that one myself...

I am representing the film's creators at a sneak preview on Wed.: I will be sure to report the outcome here. I fully expect favorable reports...

HG
Last edited by The Helpful Gardener on Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gerrie

One straw revolution looks interesting, I'll start that soon too, thanks gix.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Off topic sorry But Thank you Gerrie for recommending "Three cups of tea" I started the the night before last and just finished reading it I, as you can see, couldn't put it down. Very moving. I will write a small review in the off topic. Again thanks a must read, though not about gardening, it si about human perseverance against unbelievable odds.

You might like this one as well HG.

My eye's hurt after a day and a half read. :shock:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I will certainly look into those books, but back to topic...

It seems Dr, Irwin's work [url=https://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/pest/_decisions/rev2010-01/index-eng.php]continues to bear fruit[/url]...

The MAJORITY of ornamental pesticides go down in fertilizer combinant products like weed and feed. The Canadian government has taken the common sense stance that this is NOT in the best interest of the environment as a whole, or of its populace in general, as the health issues surrounding chemical use continue to unfold, despite the waters being muddied by lobbying dollars from the industry side.

This is a game changer to be sure, and much as the Supreme Court ruling outlined in the movie brough immediate response from the American chemical industry, I am sure we will see a flurry of activity around this issue here in the states. I will do my best to keep you all informed.

This is a HUGE leap forward in thinking about how we interact with our environment and a most logical step in the Canadian adoption of the Precautionary Principle. Such enlightened governance is to be commended, and it makes one long for such an approbable bureacracy here... Kudos to our neighbors to the north, and bless you Dr. June. One step closer to sainthood... :wink:

HG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That is a good step for the Canadians. But when will America open it's eyes? I know several people close to me that will garb for the weed and feed and I see it stocked fully on store shelves.

I fully understand their reasons for the banning of such weed and feeds. As the article states these products contain mainly broad-leaf 'cides which do no good unless the broad-leaf weed in question is actually present (not being an effective pre-emergent). So there are undoubtedly millions of consumers spreading a chemical that is not only dangerous to the environment as a whole but they are spreading a chemical that may not be needed and is wasted at the wrong time of the season. Kudos the Canada!! I have acutually discussed this very point with a garden department head at Lowe's she had no idea this was going on. Her comeback to my questioning why they are still sold in U.S. was "They want to make a large profit". :evil:

Gerrie

I'm really interested in seeing what kinds of rabbits the industry tries to pull out of it's hat. Sickening the way profits mean more than people to business and even more amazing how many folks don't take the precaution labels seriously. Someone I know thinks these labels are only written to protect the company from lawsuits, wears no protective clothing, no mask and refuses to listen to anything that us 'treehuggers' think. I can't wait to see the film.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The rabbits are already popping out; the chemical companies are challenging again under restriction of fair trade law and will likely try to tie NAFTA into their argument. There is too much money at stake for them to walk away quietly and the fact that their poisoning people has been known to them for some time holds little sway on their thinking. It will not be easy to beat their money.

But no force can hide truth forever, no party will suffer injustice indefinitely, and the Canadian people seem far more progressive in their thinking. Despite the claims of falling property values and disintegrating landscapes, the bans now in place for over a decade still support lush, beautilful lawns and landscapes and property values continue to rise. These straw man arguments continue to be fodder for the American mill; nonsense such as this will continue in a like manner for sometime, I suspect.

But we have a fine example of the right thing to do just north of us and they keep setting a better example all the time. Hopefully this movie can start the same conversations here, with the same results. But Dr. June started her campaign in 1985, and it is just seeing results over twenty years later. We need to start soon...

HG

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Gixx, you asked; [url=https://www.safelawns.org/chemical-reaction/]here's the link[/url] to put hands on the movie

Good reception tonight (the snow date). Met cherlynn; hey dear! Very nice to meet a HG member, and I am now an official garden club member as well. Spent the day at the Flower Show with the Foundation's executive director talking up the state premiere Mar. 7th. Working towards that and I'll let you know how it turns out, but tonight was well recieved. They love June, and what is not to? As the local newspaper editor says in the movie "If the environmental movement ever canonizes someone, it should be June Irwin." I think Duff is right.

Well now you can all see it. And you all should, and get some friends to see it with you. And get them to buy a copy. And so on and so on. Pay this forward and we might just clean things up...

HG
Last edited by The Helpful Gardener on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Ask and you shall receive. I would have loved to go to the screening, but it would not have been feasible so far away. There are several organizations around me that hold classes and show films. One in particular I would like to suggest a screening of "A Chemical Reaction" to. I will be going to see a film "[url=https://www.mohistory.org/education-and-events/events/3959]Dirt[/url]" in Mar. While there I will see if I can get some feedback. If that's okay that is. "Dirt" is a film about soil which will fit in with "Teaming With Microbes".

I will definitely get a copy of that move, though it may be a few weeks, are they limited? I just spent a bunch of tax money on lawn and garden stuff. I will actually be following in Paul's footsteps for my lawn care this year. I Found his site last summer and have been going back to it quite a bit for reference and to watch the movies. He seems like a great person, and very knowledgeable.

Thanks for the heads up.
Dono

Graymatter
Newly Registered

Many people are not aware that they don't have to use pollutants to have a successful garden. There are many companion plants that can achieve the same result as pesticides, and at the same time provide a useful bi product. Many industries are economically co- dependant that we do not get this information , so they can continue selling their products and polluting our lakes and rivers. Be apart of the solution , research companion planting, or check our site buildavictorygarden.com....... Getting excited; planting season is just about here, finally our first reaL THAW HAS ARRIVED. Time to have your game plan in order. happy planting to all.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Graymatter wrote:Many people are not aware that they don't have to use pollutants to have a successful garden. There are many companion plants that can achieve the same result as pesticides, and at the same time provide a useful bi product. Many industries are economically co- dependant that we do not get this information , so they can continue selling their products and polluting our lakes and rivers. Be apart of the solution , research companion planting, or check our site buildavictorygarden.com....... Getting excited; planting season is just about here, finally our first reaL THAW HAS ARRIVED. Time to have your game plan in order. happy planting to all.
Now that's a great first post. Welcome aboard.

Dono :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Many industries are economically co- dependant that we do not get this information , so they can continue selling their products and polluting our lakes and rivers.
GM hits the nail squarely on the head. The nitrogen fertilizer industry and the oil lobby are joined at the juncture of 4 gallons of bunker oil to make a fifty pound bag of fertilizer. The recipe starts by heating air to 800 degrees or so; not the greenest product even before we get it to the garden, where it kill off soil biology and runs into lakes, streams, and eventually, the ocean...

Nice post GM!

See you around, I hope... :D

HG

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sneak preview very well recieved; working towards the state premiere...[url=https://sharing.theflip.com/session/190eae52bf945e693b65fc8ad4be7a6a/video/11067031]Here's some video[/url]I shot with my friend Nancy from Natureworks, one of Connecticut's original greens...

Enjoy! And spread the word...

HG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Awesome vid. We could hang and talk all night I'll bring the marshmallows.

Best quote in there:

Scott
Nature has worked for millions and millions of years. Chemicals have been around not quite 100 in our gardens. Which one do you trust? Nature or a chemical company executive?
Mad props HG. :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks Gixx!

Although if you and I are up all night I suspect there would be stronger staples than marshmallows at hand :wink:

My favorite is the toolboxes. Got that one from a post here; stealing my own material. :lol:

HG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yeah the toolbox reference was good and hit home, being that I work construction and know a thing or 50 about making stuff and the right tools do make a HUGE difference.

Oh the marshmallows would just be the beginning I know of your love of a fine malt beverage, I'm with you on that. That darker the better I say. So when are you coming to the STL? We can feast and drink and you can tell me how I have gone wrong in my garden. :lol: Than the next morning we can fix things. :lol:

Apple, RBG, Toil, Soil, D_V, TDB, Earl_K, OL and the rest of you are all invited too. :wink:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Party in St. Lou!

Last one there buys the first round!

:lol:

And Gixx, you have mostly gone RIGHT in your garden. Don't let anyone else tell you different. Even me.

HG

applestar
Mod

:) :D :-() :clap:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Well the big day was yesterday and I'm still taking it all in. We were cursed with the first absolutely perfect day of the year , so I was thinking that a Sunday matinee was DOA. Much gloom on my part in the AM.

Yet we still half filled the place, the chefs and farms were famously good, and the crowd was enthusiastic. A lively and vigorous debate followed, with a real who's who of organics in CT for the roundtable after. And Brett's movie is wonderful and Paul is lucky Brett let him be in it ( :lol: ). They are a dynamic team, like Scorsese and Deniro.

And Cinestudios remains the most beautiful place to see a movie in Connecticut; old Gothic stone and carved wood, and red velvet.

My thanks to all who participated; I have thanked you all elsewhere and this is not the place, but everyone in the building yesterday has my undying gratitude. I owe a particular debt to Rep. Richard Roy, cochair of the Environmental Committee for his attendance and participation. It was and is most appreciated.

HG

Thank You

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Looks like the next showing in Connecticut will be April 1st, so of course I will be involved! nutz:

The Connecticut River Coastal Conservation District is doing a showing in Middletown, CT., at the Middletown H.S. auditorium at 7PM in conjunction with the local vo-ag department; are these kids starting out right or what?

See ya there!

HG

Nathan_sr
Newly Registered

I'm a landscaper in RI and my company uses chemicals to fertilize lawns all over the stat and our fertilizer crews swear by the chemicals they use.I argue with them all the time and they keep telling me that there is no organics out there that will give u a greener and more fuller lawn.I have a hard time believing that and as far as plants and trees r concernd if it couses problems to us wont the chemicals couse problems for the as well down the roud. :?:

Nathan_sr
Newly Registered

I personly used and tested one way to deter the local pest like mosquito and difernt plant eating bugs by grinding old garlic cloves into a fine powder and mixing them in a spray bottle with watter and I find that it helps keep the bugs away.just a suggestion one hole bulb of cloves to 68oZ of watter 8)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hey Nate,

Talking to people who use the stuff for a living can be really difficult; you run into the "We've always done it this way" or "I tried it and it doesn't work." Paul Tukey (star of the movie) got a gig taking care of the nation's front yard, The National Mall, and we greened up an area that NPS was having trouble with while treating chemically, 100% organically. It was so succesful that somebody had to sabotage it (wonder who thought THAT was necessary? :roll: ).My yard may not be weed free, but it's as green as anyones elses on the street, and I do very little to get that. Try searching with the search function for "organic lawn" or hit the [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=32&sid=5418cd25f46f60c042859f3a53dab82d]Lawn Forum[/url] fo more ideas...

You should post your bug juice in our [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=39&sid=341f62a4573085e6639f52b2a9a95406]Organic Insect and Pest Control Forum[/url]; we love it when people find things that work for them, especially if they are DIY projects...

Welcome to the Forums!

HG
Last edited by The Helpful Gardener on Thu May 06, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

So I was talking about [url=https://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/opinion/06kristof.html]the real story unfolding[/url] ...

:D

HG

forgardener
Newly Registered

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Greetings all,

I recently interviewed an old friend and colleague, Paul Tukey, about his new movie, and we have featured the [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/organic/2006/chemical-reaction.html]interview[/url] on the site. Please take a minute to read about this important film and then let's talk about it back here... I look forward to hearing from you all...

Thanks

Scott
It would be great to find out where and when this will be shown around the country. I am subscribed to several garden related ventures around here but you never know if I might have missed the one that will be showing or relating this presentation to the public.

greenheirloom
Newly Registered

webmaster wrote:It's not well known in the United States that [url=https://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/April2008/22/c8079.html]Home Depot has ceased sales of pesticides in Canada[/url]. But as Paul Tukey asks, why is it ok to still sell the same chemicals in the United States?
"Like our customers, we, at The Home Depot, are concerned about the environment," said Annette Verschuren, president of The Home Depot Canada and Asia. "We are going above and beyond government regulations by working with our suppliers to develop pesticide alternatives that are environmentally friendly and produce excellent results on lawns and gardens."
Now that is a great quote and begs the question, why is it OK here in the US? We all need to educate the public about the harm these pesticides can do.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Good............Its about time!!!

Leo Mitchell
Newly Registered

Having been trained by the university system in agriculture/horticulture in the 60's, I was not exposed to organic gardening concepts. It wasn't until I picked up a copy of Organic Gardening magazine that the world of organic gardening became a topic of interest. Having worked in the lawn care industry, I can only look back in sadness at the tons of chemicals, both pesticides, herbicides, and chemical fertilizers, I used. I did it out of ignorance, so I won't be to hard on myself or others. A film like this will take away the ignorance people have and they will no longer be able to claim "ignorance" as an excuse to continue the madness!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”