annafaie
Cool Member

NOT Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth - safe outside?

I have a 10 lb box of non food grade Diatomaceous Earth and I can't seem to find any info online about anything other than food grade DE. So, I need your help! Is the non food grade still organic and will it be safe to use outside to control fleas in my backyard? Will it hurt my 3 year old who plays outside? Will it hurt my veggie garden?

Thanks for your advice! Also, if you can suggest another organic outdoor flea killer/repellent I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

applestar
Mod

When you say non food grade, do you mean pool/filter grade? Because those are heat treated/hardened into microscopic knives that can cause lung damage -- THINK ASBESTOS. Definitely NOT what you want to spread around the garden to be inhaled by you, your 3 yr old baby, your pets if you have any -- or anybody else!

Agricultural/horticultral DE are used in animal feed to control bugs and to absorb humidity, so it's pretty safe for us but are sharp and abrasive enough to get between the exoskeletons of fleas, ants, and other insects. Still causes dry mouth and cough if inhaled -- keep away from baby.

annafaie
Cool Member

Thanks! Great info!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”