PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Applying fertilizer?

Hi,

Could someone give me a general outline to using some fertilizers? In the past I have typically used compost and liquid fish fertilizer throughout the year. Occasionally I would add a little handful of granular fertilizer during fruiting to my tomatoes, peppers, veggies and herbs with an NPK value of 4-6-3.

What kind of fertilizers are best and when to apply them? What are general fertilizers with NPK 4-4-4 or 10-10-10 usually good for?

imafan26
Mod

It is always good to feed the soil with organic matter. Fertilizer depends on what you are planting, what your soil contains and what is needed.

The only way to know how much fertilizer and what kind you really need is to get a soil test. You can always ask for organic recommendations otherwise they will automatically give you synthetic recommendations.

Meatburner

What ^^^^^^said.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Last season most of my crops did poorly. I am pretty sure the soil is lacking nutrients. I have not put back nutrients as much as the plants are sucking up. So this fall/winter that passed I decided not to plant anything. I have been burying veggie scraps in areas I plan on planting. But still I don't think it will be enough. I will be adding a little compost and maybe some worm castings, but very little. What really needs the boost is my potted plants. I just need a better understanding what a good fertilizing schedule is and what are some good fertilizers. BTW, I only use organic fertilizers.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You mentioned potted plants. Plants in containers do need more fertilizing than stuff in the ground; there is just a little bit of soil and it does get depleted.

Generally what people do with containers is repot everything with fresh potting soil (soil-less potting mix) annually. Often all the potting soil is dumped on the garden and then the containers are completely refilled with fresh potting mix. Since I'm a cheapskate, what I do is dump all the containers into a wheelbarrow, add about as much fresh potting mix as is there, mix and fluff, and stuff it all back in the containers.

If you replenish your potting mix like that, then your plants will not be growing in such depleted soil and will do better and need less added fertilizer (assuming your potting mix has some nutrients in it). But they still will need some fertilizing. I'm a pretty minimalist gardener, so I just add what ever I'm going to add in spring and mid-summer. Some people would fertilize containers anywhere from every couple weeks to every month as long as stuff is growing.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

PR, it would help to break this down. What is in the ground? What is in containers, and how big are the containers? The bigger the pot, the easier to manage nutrients, watering etc. I have most of the herbs in containers (150 and counting).

As for dirt in containers, the smaller 10" basil that may be in first and last of season usually is MG or other bagged mix. Other than that a mix of bagged top soil, poo, cotton burr and mix from 'compost' pile. Compost pile is mostly dirt from old pots, veggie scraps, tp tubes, and the earth worms.

imafan26
Mod

For my potted plants, I admit I only repot them when they are pot bound or looking sad. I use a slow release osmocote for pots since they last about 6 mos. I have used AACT, fish emulsion (until the neighbors started to complain), and vermicompost. I don't make enough vermicompost for all of my pots. And I would have to do it weekly. I did find an organic fertilizer made by a local company 8-8-8 and I do like grow power added to my soil and potting mixes.

When the plants in the pots get spent, I do something similar to rainbow except I add the potting material if it is not too weedy into my vegetable garden. one of my planting beds, or use it to fill in holes. I mix up a fresh batch of potting mix and repot the plants. BTW used pots are sterilized by washing the soil and roots out with a scrub brush and soaking the pots in a 10% bleach solution. That prevents transmission of pathogens that may be in the pots. Never keep soil from plants that died of virus or rot. Orchids that have viruses are bagged plant, pot and all and trashed. Those pots cannot be re used safely and orchid collections are too expensive to take the risk.

davidschweer

The bigger the NPK ratio the more nutrients go to your plants. I usually put fertilizer within the first two weeks of sowing and sparingly throughout the tomatoes life. If you put too much before or during you risk burning the plant. I agree with the others posts about organic nutrients so much better for the soil over the long run. <snip>

---
Edited by moderator. Please read our posting guidelines.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

where you have .html/url] you need .html[/url]

usually if you just click the [u]URL[/u] button the right coding appears and you can just paste your url in between the brackets

]your address[

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”