jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The Birds

I suppose we all have birds in our gardens? I have taken a special interest in the birds and often make a list. Today I had crow, magpie, robin, Eu. Dove, E Sparrow, starling, and Red-winged blackbird. What are you seeing?

pow wow

Today I had the usual visitors. Two pigeons, black birds, sparrows, red breasted nuthatchs, and chickadees. I'm in to hand feeding in various spots along the river.

john gault
Green Thumb

I have a bunch of little finch-type birds that I have yet to ID and it's tough to get a pic, because they are continually moving. They love to eat the seeds of my broccoli plants and I think they also get a lot of insects.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Chickadees, Starlings, House Sparrows, House Finches, Eastern Bluebirds, Downy Woodpeckers, Mourning Doves, Cardinals, Vultures and Robins have been my visitors lately. Should be seeing the Ruby Throated Hummingbirds soon. According to the migration maps they've been seen in the Cincinnati Ohio area already this year.

The Vultures nest along the creek across the road. Many mornings I see them sunning themselves on a huge old dead tree behind my house.

We hear the Canadian Geese a lot but have never seen one in the yard. Usually they get noisy at night when the coyotes disturb them.

About a month ago I heard some owls hooting along the creek. A neighbor saw them hunting a few times.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

chickadees, goldfinches, cardinals, crows, mourning doves, phoebes (one of my favorites this time of year), and carolina wren, that I noticed on this rare day off. red-tailed hawk, pileated woodpecker, and turkey vultures were in our airspace, but I wouldn't say they were 'in the garden'.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Eu Doves, Starlings and RW Blackbirds hitting the bird feeder. There was a few robins around earlier, but they are not in evidence today.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

For the first time in a few years, I'm actually seeing and hearing real mourning doves again! I'm thinking maybe because we've finally had a couple of years of good moisture after about 20 years of drought.

Such a treat to hear their gentle cooing as compared with that hoarse sound of those EU guys. EU doves are still around though too.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”