djlen
Green Thumb

Experience with LED Lighting For House Plants/Cactus

I went to Walmart to pick up some more of my curly que fluorescent screw-in bulbs and found that they don't seem to
carry them any more. LED's are taking over. I've done a little research and am finding that LED's are supposed to be
pretty good and effective for indoor plants. I have all types, cactus, succulents, as well as broad leaf plants and I'd
like some feedback on your experience with them, please. 8)

ktgreen
Newly Registered

I also prefer LED over HPS or fluorescent as LED lights do not consume too much power.

applestar
Mod

Last time I looked, most available screw in LED bulbs didn't have the brightness - luminance - needed for growing plants, and they ones that did were very expensive (at least twice as much as CFL -- say $30 vs. $15 each) which they were trying to convince by saying they last longer and pays for over time. This might be true but not attractive if you don't have the budget upfront. ...also when you consider that the prices will likely come down in another year -- then what happens to the the cost over time calculation?

They also had ones that were NOT screw-in which meant you needed new fixtures.... nightmarish thought to have to replace them all.

Are they really phasing out the CFL bulbs?

...all in all currently better prices to be found on-line, especially in multi-packs at least if not bulk...

applestar
Mod

Just realized you sort of have a double thread going over in Indoor Bonsai forum.
:arrow: Subject: Any Experience with LED Lighting?

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I usually don't read the bonsai forum but I'll have to check that one out. Sam's club had the LED shop lights on sale and we bought a bunch. Hubby keeps asking if they will work as supplemental lighting for the plants in front of the south window.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”