Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

My first freeze warning

We are going to hit low 30's tonight. I've had baby grasses that were planted a month ago. I know I lost one, maybe two....but curious if I need to do anything. They are due for a little water, is it ok to water in the chilly air, or should I refrain from doing it at this point. I water the babies every three days since its been cool, now I am clueless about watering. Not much rain, but will the water go into the ground and be too cool in the roots? I've been wondering when to start holding back on the water once we hit the low/mid 30's overnight.

Signed,
Very confused first frost newbie
Rose

KeyWee

If it's going to freeze tonight I would leave it alone. Best you can do is cut it back and mulch well if you're worried that it has not had enough time to establish. Grasses are pretty hardy.
We have had a light frost a couple of times, but tonight will be our first freeze too. That means my castors beans will die ~ drat, I never look forward to this no matter HOW long I live :roll:

LIcenter

I wouldn't worry too much about them. Tall grasses are very hardy, and should be fine. As the weather cools the top growth will dry out, so no reason to water this late in the year. Heck I've dug a few up and forgot about them. The next spring there they are sitting right where I left them above ground. Dug them in and they did just fine.

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Ok...once you get a freeze, don't water....these are babies just planted in mid Sept? I'm thinking if the have survived this long, it's time to let them go wherever nature takes them. I'll be waiting all winter for spring to arrive and see life. It's going to be a long cold snowy winter, just to keep freaking me out. This is the first garden I've ever put to sleep. I will worry. LOL

THANKS!

KeyWee

Don't worry so much Kitty ~ grasses and most perennials have a nice surprise for you when spring arrives. My favorite time of year when you get to see what comes back.
As suspected, we got our first good freeze last night and I have yet to be outside (it's still dark) but I can tell you for a fact that my castor beans are dead. They are my freeze-meters.
Once I cut back the spent perennials, rake the leaves into the flower beds for protection, I am done in the yard until February when it's time to prune the roses, cut back the dead grasses, and check for daffodils popping up.
Winter won't be so long and lonely if you check in here now and then :P

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Here in S.E. Nebraska, the warning was for Nov. 11. It did not happen, so there is at least a week before the next possibility. Can't seem to find any historical data as to when the latest frost has occurred around here. We must be getting close to a record.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”