A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Caterpillar ID Needed

Hey all, I have yet another critter (I'm known for that now, aren't I?). This time is a caterpillar. It appears to be some kind of woolly bear--I added a photo. I'm planning to raise this.

So, my questions are:
--Do these pupate underground; on the surface of the ground; or on sticks, leaves, etc?
--What do these eat? Please list as many food plants as possible.
--What ARE these? Latin name, please.
--Is it the kind that gives you a rash? I need to know whether I should handle this with a paper towel--I have been doing so to be safe, but I don't want to if I don't have to.

Thanks,
AHS
Attachments
Caterpillar in question:)
Caterpillar in question:)

applestar
Mod

Pretty sure that's an Isabella Tiger moth caterpillar aka woolybear. According to wiki, they can cause dermatitis if you are sensitive.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrharctia_isabella

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Pretty sure that's an Isabella Tiger moth caterpillar aka woolybear. According to wiki, they can cause dermatitis if you are sensitive.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrharctia_isabella
That's what I thought, I was torn between Ruby Tiger and Isabella Tiger though. :?:

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Because, the problem is it has no black. (The end of it has a little as you can see in the photo, but it's a very small patch of black.)

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Looks like they eat the same things though. Plantain is a favorite. They make a cocoon above ground in the late fall or early spring. Timing depends on weather and food source availability. Plantain is very hardy and I've been able to find green leaves here through most of the winter. It really needs to be exposed to winter temps and lighting to maintain it's cycle.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

ButterflyLady29 wrote:Looks like they eat the same things though. Plantain is a favorite. They make a cocoon above ground in the late fall or early spring. Timing depends on weather and food source availability. Plantain is very hardy and I've been able to find green leaves here through most of the winter. It really needs to be exposed to winter temps and lighting to maintain it's cycle.
Ah okay~ When do I put it in the fridge?

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

The fridge? No, no, no. The fridge is cold, dark, and dry. It needs the varying temps and light exposure offered by being outside. It also needs the humidity provided by winter weather. If you have a screen cage or mesh and frame cage of any type that would be the best place to keep it. You'll have to provide food and shelter. I've found them nestled in little hollows under leaves in below freezing temps. Or you could keep it in an empty fish tank if you can keep it out of the sun and rain/snow. A screen porch would be great if you have one.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I think the higher humidity of actually being on the ground might be important, too.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Very possible. I've never been very successful rearing overwintering fuzzy caterpillars. The best luck I had was keeping one in a jar with soil inside my unheated rabbit shed. But it had windows and skylights and the windows and door were open on nice days, sometimes even on not so nice days.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

ButterflyLady29 wrote:The fridge? No, no, no. The fridge is cold, dark, and dry. It needs the varying temps and light exposure offered by being outside. It also needs the humidity provided by winter weather. If you have a screen cage or mesh and frame cage of any type that would be the best place to keep it. You'll have to provide food and shelter. I've found them nestled in little hollows under leaves in below freezing temps. Or you could keep it in an empty fish tank if you can keep it out of the sun and rain/snow. A screen porch would be great if you have one.
Good, I just put it in a clear glass jar with a screen lid and some moistened soil, and put the whole shebang on the porch. We'll see how this goes.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Did you leave anything it could eat in there with it? They do come out and feed on warmer winter days. I've seen them active when almost nothing else is moving.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

ButterflyLady29 wrote:Did you leave anything it could eat in there with it? They do come out and feed on warmer winter days. I've seen them active when almost nothing else is moving.
Not intentionally but there is a dandelion plant that is growing in there. I don't know how it got there but it did. It does appear to have a few holes in the leaves that weren't there before...

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”