gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Crazy Poinsettia

I planted one of these a few years ago in my front yard that was a Christmas gift from a lady friend of ours. It was going strong and got to about 3 ft. tall and about the same in diameter when we had several days of below freezing weather that killed it---or so I thought.

Fast forward several months after I cut it back all the way to the ground and I decided to simply pull the plant, but noticed new growth emerging from the area and decided to leave it to see what it would do. Well, that was 18 months ago and that plant is now over 5 ft. tall and a good 6 ft. in diameter with very thick growth of about 30 or so stems coming from the ground. The former potted house plant is now a large shrub in my front yard. If we don't have a hard freeze a few times this year, I hate to think what it will look like this time next year. Not complaining mind you, just amazed at how big it has gotten. I recently looked up poinsettias and saw where in the wild and under favorable conditions, they can get to be 8-10 ft. tall. Now I'm curious just how big this thing will get.

imafan26
Mod

Congratulations.
Poinsettias are perennial in some parts of the world. I had 2 in my yard. I prune the two months that start with A. April and August. That is what I was told to do and it works. Cuttings can be used to make more. In the ground, my poinsettias could not be tricked to bloom at Christmas. They bloomed around March. It is a white fly magnet but you cannot spray the plant once the leaves have started to color up or they will drop. Before then, you will have to be on the look out for the whiteflies and treat them with whatever works for you. Cutting back and a jet of water works for me. I rarely feed my plants in the ground but then, my yard only needs nitrogen and not much else. If I do feed them, I give them a slow release fertilizer after I prune. As you have noticed they take to hard pruning well.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Yep, mine will not turn red anywhere near Christmas and, like yours, does so in the spring months, and then only briefly. Mine is planted in my front yard in a raised bordered area and is protected from direct sun until about early afternoon and remains in full sun until dark. I also don't fertilize it since my front garden area seems to be a growing zone for in-ground flowering plants.

I also have some aloe vera in the ground that are blooming several times a year sending up their massive stalks with the thin, bell shaped flowers in a pinkish orange color. Accidentally tap the stems and you get a shower of orange pollen for your effort.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”