Susan W
Greener Thumb

Habitats in small spaces

As things turn I am looking into encouraging more small space habitats. As it should be known by now, I am in an urban setting, and do the farmers markets (now do 2). I started with the fresh cut herbs, then added some plant starts. That side grew, literally. Now it is herbs, perennials, pollinator magnets and more. With my interests and that of the customers, doing more with small space habitats.

Bungalows, small yards and big trees are our base. Many houses with footprints of 1200 sq ft, front yard, back yard, drive on one side, narrow strip on other next to neighbor's drive. I'm lucky to have this plus a side yard as I'm on a corner. Most people work, and want relatively easy, pretty, good for pollinators, birds etc. Some may have a few tomato plants and the herb pots.

As plants still blooming, butterflies, bees and birds busy, it is a good time for me to jot down more ideas for plants. Our season is long (mid April to end Oct for frost free) so need spring, summer, late summer and fall plants. Natives are good, but we need some of the annuals for color (zinnia, some salvias etc).

Thinking out loud, and loving the challenges.

applestar
Mod

Ooh, if we lived closer, I could supply you with all kinds of stuff since my own small space dictates that I need to constantly prune, train and divide/dig up to prevent spreading some of my favorite perennials and shrubs. I have self seeded/re-seeded volunteers springing up everywhere that I have to restrict to their own small areas or ruthlessly weed out...

EVEN SO, I just cant help myself and I scatter collected seeds and stick pruned cuttings in likely places around the garden... And they sometimes sprout or root and I have more plants!

...yet, I remember how happy I was when I acquired these as new plants -- sometimes with difficulty. Now I see them in catalogs and sold on websites and just roll my eyes. Sometimes, all you need is a mother plant to grow baby plants from. LOL

I could list the easiest of them so you could inventory what you may or may not have already and consider adding them. 8)

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I like plants that do double duty. Herbs that also provide some sort of food for the critters. Or fruiting plants that provide shade or screening. And plants that provide critter food in more than one way are especially good. (leaves for caterpillars, flowers for butterflies or bees, and seeds or fruits for birds) Not very many plants fall into that last category. Blackberries are one of my favorites. They come in thornless varieties, provide good screening, some moth caterpillars eat the leaves, bees love the flowers, and there's the wonderful fruit. The leaves are also used medicinally and make a vary tasty tea. Passionflower is another multi-duty plant. And lemon balm and catnip are very good for bees and butterflies.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks to both of you.
Apple, what flowers are easy for you, pretty, and pollinator magnets? I'm not getting into shrubs other than to suggest. Anything viney is usually problematic. They grow! I did get some passion flower seeds, and a few germinated. I don't know what variety it is (not labeled on seed packet!), and don't know if annual or perennial. I had one good start I was putting in a large container, and fortunately saw a friend who said Keep It Contained! It's trellised, and we'll see how it winters. I do have Gulf Fritillaries nectaring, but they aren't using my passion flower plant as a host, yet. (There must be some tucked in here or there near my house).

BL, for now staying away from fruits/veggies. I try to have the standard herbs. Most people must have lemon balm as I don't think I sold one start this season. Once one has it, it's forever! Catnip is a mixed bag for me. I have some here and there in pots, let it grow out and bloom, then cut back to repeat. It does draw the bees, but I don't think I've noticed butterflies. The plant got a boost this summer as it was noted as a mosquito repellent, that being to rub some leaves on bare arms and legs when outside. I've been trying it, and seems to work.

imafan26
Mod

I do monthly sales where I volunteer. We do sales Feb-October and the November sale is on arbor day. Yeah, I know most places have arbor day in Spring but the fall is the best time to plant a tree here. This is what sells the most although you have to realize that this is the tropics and we have a multi ethnic community

Peppers- especially hot ones (Hawaiian = tabasco), jalapeno, super chili. Anaheim, Ghost, Caribbean red, Habanero, banana peppers. Bell peppers especially colored ones and minis
tomato starts especially in the earlier months of the year March- May
Cucumber (Japanese only. People here do not like any other kind, so you have to know your market)
P.S. You have to explain to your customers that most vegetables are annuals and don't live forever. They seem to think that something is wrong with the plant when it dies after it gives fruit.
Peanuts - I guess it is something everyone likes to eat and it is a novelty item
Kale- I can sell almost as much kale as I can grow. Right now it is very popular as a healthy food
Bush beans (people don't want to deal with trellisses) I was surprised by the demand for beans. I really don't like them very much. Preferred are the flat podded bush beans.
passion fruit
citrus trees- meyer lemon, Bearrs lime, calamondin, dwarf tangerine (honey), tangelo, kaffir lime (only a few)
Mango, avocado, cherimoya
Poha berry
gogi berry
Miracle berry
papaya, low bearing
banana
coffee
figs
Grafted trees - avocado, mango, citrus, hibiscus
I get requests for allspice, but the trees are invasive so I don't sell it.
Citrossa
Coleus canina and rue (to keep cats away)
Lettuce, beets, bok choy- in community pots (8-10 in a pot) Need to have instructions for planting out.

Herbs
Sweet basil, green onions, dill (in summer), cilantro, thyme, sage, lemon balm, peppermint, spearmint, chocolate mint, I even have requests for pennyroyal but I don't ever want to have that around. Lemon grass, ginger, turmeric, pandan, Mexican tarragon because we cannot grow French tarragon all year here. Nasturtiums (February-May) Shiso (perilla, in summer) Roselle (we have true roselle (H. sabdariffa) and false roselle (H. acetocella), bay leaves, fennel (promoted for its ability to attract beneficial insects. Finocchio has edible bulb as well. Fennel does need to be by itself) Edible flowers nasturtiums, daylily, borage, pineapple sage. People like Lamb's ear even though it is not edible.
Gynuura. Jamaican oregano (also attracts bees with long bloom period)

For polinators I have
Sunflowers but we sell the seeds not the flowers. I do grow the flowers in the herb garden but timing them is tricky since they only bloom for 10 days. I like to grow mammoth and multi-headed lemon queen. Alyssum, fennel, marigolds, (Crackerjack and Dwf French for nematode control). I usually tell the customers to let some of the basil go to seed for the bees. Corn tassels are a good pollen source for bees even if you only grow a few. Lavender (multifida will bloom 9 months of the year in Hawaii), verbena (vervain), borage in summer, and false heather. People here do not like annuals much since they don't live forever.

Ornamentals
Parrot beak heliconia, lobster claw heliconia, shell ginger. Arctic snow (wrightia antidysenterica), sun impatiens, ornamental peppers, mosquito plants, gardenia, jasmine, miracle berry, plumeria (pudica- bridal bouquet), succulent bowls. sedum (burros tails). Orchids in bloom, cut flowers. Pretty much anything that is long lived and in bloom.

When we have them in season we have produce from the gardens - lettuce, daikon, squash, and fruit from the orchard.

Vermicast and worms.

House plants: Cast iron, diffenbacchia, Chinese Evergreen, ficus, some orchids like phalaenopsis make good houseplants since they like 70% shade.

Patio plants - bay leaf, palms, bougainvillea.

We also have a featured plant of the month

We have a 4 hour sale once a month. We don't do December because it is a low sales month and we have a hard time getting enough volunteers for the sale. January is for the annual volunteer day.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I have read in several sources that Torenia (wishbone flower) is a good hummingbird flower. After having grown it for 3 years now I have to say I have never seen a hummingbird in it. The only thing I've seen feeding on the flowers are the huge Carpenter bees, not something people want to attract.

Lantana is a good butterfly draw, also good for hummingbirds. The downside is that lantana berries are poisonous. Not good if you have kids or pets that nibble on your plants.

Right now I'm trying to propagate more varieties of fall blooming sedum. My Autumn Joy sedum is blooming now and has been full of bees. Usually I see butterflies in it but other than cabbage whites, the butterflies are few.

Columbine is a beautiful spring flower and looks good combined with crocus. Crocus draws bees and hummingbirds feed on columbine flowers.

One of my fall prep projects this year is getting starts from overgrown or fading plants. Petunias and geraniums are pretty easy to grow from cuttings. I did cuttings of plectranthus Mona Lavender last fall. They are blooming now, but a pretty poor showing of flowers. I was hoping they would be better and draw in hummingbirds. I also had some pineapple sage cuttings that did very well but again, not blooming yet. I still have to try the Iochroma. It needs to be cut way back before I bring it in next month.

applestar
Mod

Apple, what flowers are easy for you, pretty, and pollinator magnets? I'm not getting into shrubs other than to suggest. Anything viney is usually problematic. They grow! I did get some passion flower seeds, and a few germinated. I don't know what variety it is (not labeled on seed packet!), and don't know if annual or perennial. I had one good start I was putting in a large container, and fortunately saw a friend who said Keep It Contained! It's trellised, and we'll see how it winters. I do have Gulf Fritillaries nectaring, but they aren't using my passion flower plant as a host, yet. (There must be some tucked in here or there near my house).
Easy to grow from/selfseeds -- Cardinal flower, Golden Alexander, Perennial/wild ageratum (Eupatorium coelestinum), White Snakeroot, Joe Pye weed, Honeyvine milkweed, turtle head, monarda, jewelweed, goldenrods, black eyed Susan, clovers, aquilegia, phlox, ... (some of them are almost nuisance/weedy but GREAT for establishing a big patch without effort)

Easy to root cuttings or divide (including shrubs and vines, but seriously, VERY easy) -- Iris cristata, common milkweed, Elderberries, blackberries, red osier dogwood, Arrowwood viburnum, Trumpet honeysuckle,

Easy to ground-layer -- any of the above, blueberry, native azalea,

...I think there are more -- I'll post if I think of them :wink:

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Hmmmmm!
Nice list, IF, but not the best for a midsouth zone 7 urban small habitat space.

Some of the others. Lantana great for butterflies. Of course not native, and not grown from seed. We get some every year anyway! I have a couple of geranium pots, mostly as I need to tell myself I can grow them, are pretty, and one of my (late) mother's faves. Pollinators check the blooms and move on to something else. I have some native columbine (red with yellow), and pot up starts from it. Monarda good, but can be a pain here with powdery mildew, and short bloom time. I got some Jacob Cline a year ago, and need to do more with dividing in spring. Have 3 large pots.

Apple, not sure of some of yours, especially from seed! Lobelia cardinal flower good, but difficult from seed. Also seems to get attacked by something. I have some luck growing Great Blue from seed, but little demand for it! Joe Pye Weed? Too big for small space, hard from seed. I got some Baby Joe Pye weed last year end of season, and divided off a few babies. Experience in my yard bloomed July-August, and few pollinators, now messy looking. Goldenrod alway listed, and must be for those with open space! I have some that multiplies, and perhaps just not watching don't see much activity on blooms. Black Eyed Susan one of those odd ones. The standard is Goldsturm, a hybrid, and it will spread by roots-rhyzomes. Most native what we call BES is biennial, so need a large area to always have new plants. I got seeds for Gloriosa Daisy Rudbeckia last spring, and it may be a keeper. Got started too late to have much bloom this season, but watch out next year! Phlox from seed?! One day I'll get a thread going on phlox. I did get a couple of starts of phlox -Jeana this year, a natural cultivar. Hoping it winters and spreads as it is awesome. Lavender bloomer, smaller than the standard old fashioned purple phlox, long lasting blooms, mildew resistant (a huge plus here), and the butterflies like it.

A good one for me has been the verbena -homestead. It's low and trailing, so best in containers with plant up from ground. It may not do a cold winter. Note to self is to try rooting more plants, that by layering a stem down into some dirt.

One of my standards is agastache -anise hyssop. Easy, blooms, pollinator fave, sun/part shade, ground or container, spreads some but not aggressive. Winner!

Then there are the salvias. That's a separate thread. When you start looking and doing back ground checks, not that many native, and not that many from seed (with all the hybrids). I couldn't find the annual red Bonfire this spring, so grew the scarlet salvia annual. It's OK, but weak in bloom compared to the other. I think I located an on-line source for bonfire for next season (last year was at the Dollar Store, kid you not!)

I'll think of more......

Susan W
Greener Thumb

In my ever going quest for learning more about native plants, small spaces, pollinators, monarchs etc, try to go to any program that shows up. I hit the lunch and learn, some PM programs. Most free or admission to the host site, some small charge. Always add tools to the toolbox! Not bragging, but often know much of what is offered, but pick up tidbits.

Yesterday went to a showing of a film based on Tallemy, the native plant guru. Hometown Habitat. (should have been edited from 90 min down to 60).
Anyway after film, and not many of us there, questions. A woman was there known to several from an Audubon Center 50 miles se in MS. She does know her stuff, well not all. The giant swallowtail came up and she was so excited. I mentioned mine on the rue, and the cats. Well, she flat out said they don't host on rue (doesn't know what the plant is) and implying I'm a less than. Being nice, and seeing her prominence in group and respect, whimpered quiet. Later thinking I should have given them all a 1 min talk on rue -origins, properties, medicinal and lore etc. Giving credit where credit due, she did say the Gulf Fritalaries may be eating on the violets.I have plenty, they like themselves, and now will need to check for cats and chewed leaves.

Side note, did I learn or pick up tidbits? A bit, and would have kicked myself had I not gone.

OK rant over

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Too bad she didn't realize that citrus are members of the Rue family.

I've been to lectures/programs like that too. Sometimes you learn something, sometimes you teach something, sometimes you get to do both. I wish there would be more programs like that around here. Or if there are programs like that, they should be publicized better. With the growing season winding down, now would be the time to attend such programs. It gives you time to get projects planned and started before next spring.

The gardener's mantra, "there's always next year"!

I'm glad you mentioned that experience. I've been looking at adding a gas plant or two. The fact that they are possible hosts for Giant Swallowtails is a good reason to add it to the mix. Maybe the butterflies will like that better than they have my potted citrus, which has been host to absolutely ZERO caterpillars in over 20 years.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”