AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Human Vitamins for Plants

Just curious...my younger daughter decided to drop one of my vitamin tablets into the soil of her cherry tomato plant (without my permission :lol: ). And I thought, maybe human vitamins are good for plants since they.. well, contain vitamins and minerals. I know that some do have gum coating, which may not be that good. Yes, no? Any opinions?

Just decided to throw this question out there for fun :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Gum coating shouldn't hurt. Some people do say that vitamins help plants, but I don't think one pill, one time will make that much difference one way or the other.

Here's a report from a kid who consistently watered his plants with vitaminized water and reports very good results with it:

https://www.motherearthnews.com/organic- ... cleContent

this one is some other kid's science fair project:

https://cssf.usc.edu//History/2004/Projects/J1409.pdf

This reports
In conclusion, the vitamins and dietary supplements calcium, iron, vitamin C, and vitamin D all affect the
growth of parsley plants. Calcium and vitamin D [in combination] stimulate the growth of parsley plants, while iron and
vitamin D [in combination] negatively affect the growth of the plants in relation to water.

I saw other anecdotal reports of some benefits from vitamins C, B, and D for plants, when used consistently. But this is a very expensive way to feed your plants. And I expect as shown by the science fair report, it depends on the combination of vitamins, the plants they are applied to, and the ambient conditions.

I would stick to good compost from a variety of ingredients! But your won't have injured the plant.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Thank you for the advice RB! I found it quite interesting how certain combinations of vitamins aren't as good for plants.

Since my daughter found it quite amusing caring for a plant by giving it vitamin pills, I might let her do a little experiment, similar to the one the kid in the links did, just for fun, with some old unused vitamins 8)

I however, will stick to compost for my garden :wink:

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

dannydelevingne wrote:Hummm... I've never thought about it.. it might work haha tell me your results :)
Sure will!

nltaff

Annalkona, I've generally just considered my little secret habit a superstition, so I don't talk about it much but for years I've dropped a citrical tablet or two into my tomato and pepper planting holes. Don't know if it is working, but I don't very often have any blossom end rot. It all started years ago when I discovered I couldn't get those horse-sized pills down my own throat. Me-I eat more yogurt, cottage cheese and spinach along with a daily dose of emergen-c! I don't suffer from BER, either.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Interesting! I always thought that it's better if the tablet/pill had been dissolved.

(You'r right some pills are just too humongous to swallow, lol) :>

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

On occasion I've found bottles of forgotten and expired vitamins. Usually calcium or iron supplements. I've tossed those in the garden. I figured it wouldn't hurt anything and I'm not losing much because the vitamins were so old anyway. I never really noticed much difference so apparently at least they didn't hurt anything.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Yes, ButterflyLady29, doing a bit of research online, I haven't found much info about plants growing better with the vitamins. Mostly all I've found is that the vitamins barely affect the plant.

kayjay
Green Thumb

I've wondered this myself. If I already have a calcium/magnesium supplement for myself, why go buy something else special for tomatoes and peppers? I might do that next year - just pop one into the soil.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”