rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: Where can I get kudzu and mile a minute?

Re where can you find it -

"Kudzu is really common in Virginia south of the James, and on Highway 60/I-64 east of Richmond.

But kudzu is a killer. It will grow overtop of a pine forest, covering the canopy with a layer of vines that capture all the sunlight at the top. That shades out the trees, and everything underneath dies. Then in the cold winters, the vines will freeze and the hillside will be a barren tangle of rotting trees and withered vines. The next spring, the vine-that-can-eat-a-forest will come back (the roots don't freeze below the frost line, in the 56-degree ground...) and cover the surface with big green leaves again.

And kudzu is not a producer of nuts or fruits, or even leaves that are attractive to Virginia's wildlife. Think about it - our critters have evolved to feed on native plants, and are not normally adapted to take advantage of invasive species. When you were young, did you like bitter foods such as coffee? Our wildlife suffers when an oak-hickory forest is converted into a kudzu-covered field. You won't find deer peacefully browsing the kudzu branches, or wood thrushes nesting in its branches..."
https://www.virginiaplaces.org/natural/invasives.html

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

I get that. But I have an enclosure...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So you have been telling us for a year now you want to try growing these ridiculously invasive vines. Along with lots of warnings, you have also gotten answers to the question about where you can find them and how to start growing them. So have you made any progress or are you just trolling us to provoke reactions?

KeyWee

Haha, RBG ~ we were just cruising the backroads yesterday and commenting on how absolutely beautiful the kudzu looks with all this heat and rain. However, much as I love to look at it, I don't want it in my yard. It also harbors a rust-type disease that is very bad for soybeans, so not a win-win by any means.
Seedling, if you want kudzu, there are acres and acres of it here.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Interesting.... we have been having heat and extreme drought. Even the kudzu is wilting...

Sounds like one of those jokey things, how do you know when it is too hot? When even the kudzu wilts! :shock:

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

I'm not trolling; I don't have kudzu here (pretty obvious, otherwise I would have taken a cutting already). I want to know if anyone sells/ships kudzu seeds to Virginians. I did find some mile-a-minute. Took a cutting and it's rooting nicely.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No one can sell / ship kudzu plants or seeds. It is illegal for all the reasons we have been telling you.

I already did tell you where in your state you will find it growing:

Kudzu is really common in Virginia south of the James, and on Highway 60/I-64 east of Richmond.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

I'll look. Can I close this topic?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

RE: "Can I close this topic?"

Contact any of the moderators and they can lock it for you.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Just stop replying and it will close itself.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well yes and no.... as long as it is unlocked, any one who happens to bump into it at any time in the future (say by doing a site search on any of the terms used) can add a post and bump it to the top of the list again. Mods can lock it, so that no one can add a post; then it will be closed for good.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”