applestar
Mod

Any concerns about vegetable seeds from China? Seed sources?

I'm seeing a lot of vegetable seeds from China mentioned in different forums -- packets of seeds printed in Chinese -- and wondered if there are any concerns. Are they hybrids? Do they sell GMO seeds? (Supposedly in the US, seed packets sold for home garden use don't have GMO seeds....)

- First search results said China is banning GMO corn imported from the US.
- Second search results said Chinese "agents" were arrested for trying to steal US "designer" seeds https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/05/us/ch ... .html?_r=0

Hm.

- Third search results included this:
"China's toxic air pollution resembles nuclear winter, say scientists
Air pollution now impeding photosynthesis and potentially wreaking havoc on country's food supply, experts warn"
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/f ... scientists

OK, that's a different concern than what I was thinking....

- Here's an article from Canada:
"Is organic food from China safe?
While organic agriculture is big in China, concerns about food safety and quality are starting to arise"
https://www.macleans.ca/society/life/greener-pastures/

- This was an interesting article -- apparently from China -- with several facets and issues:
"Dominance of foreign GM brands has Chinese agriculturalists concerned

Traditional Chinese culture considers seeds a gift from nature to humanity as they are free and belong to all, but in a globalized world this may be idealism."
"We have domestic seeds and foreign ones. But vegetables such as tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbages and peppers are basically from global corporations such as the Swiss-based Syngenta," Wang Zhenli, a senior horticulturist from Beijing Futong Environmental Engineering Ltd. told the Global Times.

"These foreign companies have branches and bases in China where they breed these seeds. Their seeds are better than domestic ones in fighting pests and diseases so they tend to be more competitive," Wang said.
https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/79045 ... 1EaaCe9KSM

>>> wow I think I might "pause" to consider where the seeds were actually grown <<<

imafan26
Mod

Just because the seeds come from another source does not mean unscrupulous people cannot find another way to bring a cheaper source in.

Honey from China is restricted into the US but can be sold to South America and from there Chinese honey can make its way back to the U.S.

That being said, I have grown seeds that originated in China, Korea, and Taiwan and they have been good. There are a few problems that can be transmitted by seed, but thankfully toxic air isn't one of them.

The basil downy mildew plague entered from Sweden via Florida. Florida shipped it across the country by contaminated seed. So, Chinese seeds are not the only ones to worry about.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

I would rather not buy anything imported from China, but it is almost impossible. I will buy as much from the USA as I can find. I do not know the labeling legalities for seeds or for plant seedlings. I would bet we plant more from China than we know.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

There is a giant Persian walnut, (used in the jewelry trade) and glutenous corn that I wouldn't mind getting my hands on from the Chinese inventory. China has had a strong history of plant breeding.

I'm not sure that our corporate monsters fetish of plant and intelectual patenting the entire biome has caught on in the same way in China. Still I might not count China as our friend either.

imafan26
Mod

I have come across some seeds which stamp their country of origin on the package. Maybe we can vote with our $ and support companies that state where their seed is grown.

It actually matters more that seeds/plants were raised in similar conditions to your own more than their country of origin. Many seed companies buy seeds locally and internationally so it is likely you are growing seeds raised in Holland, France, NZ, Taiwan, Italy, or somewhere near you.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”