Kenshin14435

HEAT ISSUE

Ok, I think this might go for alot of people in the lower half of America on the east coast but there is a real heat issue going on overhere in Virginia.
The heat has been around 95 plus around 85-90 % humidity. I ouht my trees wouldnt do so good so I moved them inside to a temp. of 75-80.
They have been doing great so far. My mom moved 2 of mine outside and two others and hers hasnt been doing great at all. My mom had moved my first juniper outside and that thing was half dead anyway but a squirrel took it. I'm not too worried about. Just another pot I can use. The other one has so far been doing fine.
I suggest you move your trees inside if they can't take the heat.

Ken

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ken,

I take it that you sue air-conditioning in your home during this kind of weather. If so then that really has tendency to dry the air, not good for your trees either.

Do you have a shade tree that you can locate your trees under? Perhaps one on the north or east side of your home? In a location like this they will only get part sun. A spot that receives sun in the AM and shade in the PM is much better than keeping trees inside.

Your climate is somewhat different than mine but I have my Juniper, Pines, Chinese Elm, Zelkova, Crab Apples and others in full sun and it has been pretty warm here as well.

Other trees are under shade trees, these include Maples, Azalea, Boxwood, Barberry and Burning Bush. Choose the correct location for the different species you may be growing.

Some growers in the south use a product known as shade cloth. It provides varying amounts of shade depending upon the product you choose.

Look here for one possibility. You can probably locate it in your area if you call around.
[url]https://www.growersupply.com/shadecloth.html[/url]

Norm

Kenshin14435

Norm,
Thank you for your info! I might as well go look for some of the stuff. I think you can buy stuff just like it Lowes or Home Depot. Also, another thing to address. It rains here. ALOT. And when it rains, it doesnt rain, its an all out downpour. Plus with hurricane season coming around, I'm not so sure what to do with my trees. Any advice on this issue?

Ken

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ken,

One of the things to consider when mixing your soil is how much it rains in your climate. If it rains a lot then a free draining mix is even more critical. Rain does not provide nearly the amount of water that you might imagine though. In my area I must water even if it rains. Unless you really have downpours I suggest you still check your trees regularly.

You may need to shelter your trees during very windy times. I usually have at least one thing knocked over every year, usually it is not a disaster.

Norm

alisios

Temps here are now 100+ and will continue to be for the coming weeks...I noticed last year my trees just stopped growing during this time.

The Junipers I have are perfectly fine in full sun, but I do plan on putting most my trees under a shade tree soon as temps go into the 110s...

It's the heat of the pots that concern me, otherwise full sun...

With temps so high and humidity hanging around 5%, I will be watering twice a day...

I'll have to amend my soil at next potting because I think it's a bit too coarse and well draining..

Kenshin14435

Norm,
Wind is a problem too. I would think I should just place my trees next to a wall and/or walls to protect from this. I could also place a brick under one side of the pot so the extra water drains over the edge.

Alisios,
I'm just making an assumption but I would say you live in the southern half of america but over in the west or in texas or something like that. See, you have dry heat(from the amount of humidity you said), but I have wet heat. :x Oh-well
And if I'm wrong then what ever. I'm not a weatherman. :wink: :roll: :mrgreen:

Ken

seanchai

Ken:

Do you have a porch or deck with any sort of overhang? I keep my bonsai beside the porch, firstly because they get the right amount of sun there, but also because on very hot days or if a storm blows up (and I know *exactly* what you mean about how intense the storms are and how fast they can come on, with tornadoes no less), I can easily move them to a more sheltered area without having to do too much of a 'bonsai shuffle'. In my case, temporarily moving them to the porch also leaves them right near the front door, so there's no danger of my forgetting to put them *back* in their usual sunny spot once the storm is over or the temp is back to something sane.

I've though about shade cloth, but right now I don't have the space to rig any nor the money to spend... plus, shade cloth won't offer storm protection. If you don't have any sort of porch/overhang, I'd say putting them against any sort of building will be better than nothing re: storms.

Kenshin14435

seanchai,

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
Finally someone who lives by me. YOU undestand(not that any of you others don't)that.....well.........I think you get the point.
Anyway, yes I do have a deck. In fact I have 2. But th second one is more like a wood porch.
I'll post pix soon 'cause I thought of something but it tends to require pix to describe

Ken

seanchai

TOTALLY understand. :D I live in a mini tornado alley, and the storms here are vicious. Last week we had one blow up with 80 mph winds, and it came up *so* quick (from sunny to 80mph winds, tornadoes, and pouring rain within about 3 minutes) that I had time to do *nothing*.... was terrified that I'd go back out and find nothing but snapped and uprooted bonsai, if they were there at all! Fortunately everything was fine, but this time of year definitely requires some sort of setup to protect from the severe weather, even if it's something improvised.

GlassB

Your juniper was nearly dead to begin with most likely because they are not to be kept indoors. The trees will die indoors. They must be kept outdoors all year round. The max. recommended time keeping junipers indoors is 2 days in a row for admiration purposes. Otherwise, strictly outdoors.

Regarding the recent heatwave, perhaps a large oscillating fan in a corner of the room. Not to blow the tree out of the pot or anything. Just to create some wind and circulation. Some trees are finnicky and don't enjoy drafts or winds but this should help in the long term. Make sure your trees have humidity trays to keep the humidity at relatively constant levels. Important for indoors and outdoors.

Kenshin14435

GlassB,
Even though your own post kind contradicts itself about leaving it in a room, but then you say to get a fan for indoors. But, I do understand what your saying. Pretty much if you do have your bonsai indoors then have a fan.
And, no need to worry 'bout humidity here. Its always high and off the charts. But I do mist once, if not twice a day. But thanks for info.

Ken

GlassB

I was specifying OUTDOORS ONLY for JUNIPERS.

Regarding the HEAT ISSUE, as a separate issue, and if you have indoor plants (NOT junipers) preferably a fan would help.

I hope that clears up the confusion.

Kenshin14435

Ah yes, that does cleer things up.
Thanx!
I mostly have junipers but I also have 2 baby japanese maples. No one has told me specifically where I should put them but I'm assuming that they stay outside. Although, I did bring them in for a medium-long period of time and they seem to be doing great.

Ken

Kenshin14435

Ok seanchai(and everyone else :D )
I finally had some time to get some pix of my deck and porch. so now I can describe what my vision is.
Here they are.

[img][img]https://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk207/Kenshin14435/Deck/S4010001.jpg[/img][/img]

Ok, don't mind the tree in the middle of the picture. This is my deck and porch. As you can see there is a space.

[img][img]https://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk207/Kenshin14435/Deck/S4010002.jpg[/img][/img]

Heres the deck.

[img][img]https://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk207/Kenshin14435/Deck/S4010003.jpg[/img][/img]

This is the lower porch. I keep my bonsai up against the stone wall. You can kinda see 'em. And no, those green things flowing over the retaining wall are not weeds. They're my moms herbs.

[img][img]https://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk207/Kenshin14435/Deck/S4010004.jpg[/img][/img]

Ok, heres my "vision" I was talking about. See how theres the porch. Do you also see the shed on the left? Ya do? GOOD. Well notice how the gutter of the shed lines up with the bottom of the deck. I was thinking that I would get a big peice of shade cloth or something like it and tie it to the bottom of the deck and the gutter and then place a couple supports across to keep it in position, then.........voila(I'm speaking french :lol: ) You have and awesome shelter which shelters your plants from wind, & extreme heat and sun. I was also thinking to make some thingies(yeah....I know ........real specific :wink: ) to get the trees off of the ground.
Anyway, thanx for listenin' and give me any feed back if ya' want to.

Ken

A. Sears

Keep that juniper outside. I have seen some benefit placing them close to the side of house in winter.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”