Lindo
Newly Registered

Pruning

I have a Serissa Seroides and it is really healthy and growing well. When and how should I prune it. I have read that it produces white flowers so I don't want to risk pruning it and losing any chance of it flowering. I have only had it since December so don't really know when its flowering season is.
I would be grateful for any help, thanks.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Lindo,

Glad to hear that your tree is doing well rather than having a problem. I am not really familiar with this species as I mostly stick to species that can survive my winters. Perhaps someone else can offer some specifics. In the meantime here is a link that might help a little. By the way, welcome to the site.

[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Serissa.html[/url]

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Pruning to control growth (amount and direction) can be done year-round. If, however, you're talking about a major pruning on a dense or otherwise overgrown tree, you'd be better off waiting until growth has slowed in the fall/winter.

Root pruning is sometimes not tolerated well by Serissa and should only be done once every 2-3 years, even in established specimens. Letting them get pot-bound, though, is not a good idea either, but just to that point, and root prune.

The Serissa foetida I had many years ago flowered pretty much all year round. The one I have now is also flowering. I'm not 100% sure on your species, but I do believe it's the same. What type of fertilizer are you using?

Lindo
Newly Registered

Thanks Gnome, that was a really useful link and thanks KDodds for your info which leads me to my next question, what sort of fertiliser should I use? So far I have just been watering it and was going to start feeding it from the Spring onwards. I have been looking in bonsai sites and saw a liquid feed and pellets but as I am a complete novice I am not sure which would be best. What do you suggest?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Even indoor trees have rest periods of slower growth. Fertilizers can be a very confusing subject for a lot of people, myself included.

Here's how I remember it:

Organics are generally more bio-available than inorganics, and so reaction time is faster and more obvious, generally.

The first number (Nitrogen) is for stem, branch, and leaf growth. Since you don't normally want to encourage quick growth here, especially in "rest periods", it should never be terribly high. In off months, then, you'd want something like a 0:3:2, something like that.

The second number (Phosphate) is for root growth. Because a healthy tree starts with healthy roots, and because root growth is so important, even during winter months, trees should receive at least some of this.

The last number (Potassium) is for flowering and fruiting. This is usually very low in Bonsai fertilizers, especially for outdoor trees and non-flowering varieties.

I have always used "slow release" inorganics mixed in the soil when repotting or at the beginning of autumn, and organics throughout spring and summer. Very important: risk under fertilizing rather than over fertilizing. I see that a lot of people here are recommending liquid fish fertilizers. I prefer these to the traditional cakes and such as well.

I only do indoor trees, so things might be a different for others, and I'm sure I'm oversimplifying here. I am, by no means, an expert, so you may want to hear from those who are as well before aplying anything I've said.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Okay, it's been brought to my attention that I was right, lol. I'm definitely not an expert.

The second number is for root, fruit and flower.

The third is for hardening, overall health, and prevention of water loss.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”