cbm5200
Newly Registered

Juniper bonsai

My son gave me a Juniper a week ago . I don't know anything about taking care of it. But I have noticed that the leaves are turning brownish. I have it in a screened porch and it gets the morning sunlight. I think that the Florida weather is good, but, I'm not too sure how to take good care of it. Please help

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I think you might find some of what you need here on the (bonsai) learning forum.

At least enough to spark other questions.

Welcome to our madness.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm sure tom meant to give you this link: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=36

Browning already is not a good sign. I expect your screened porch with morning sun only is not enough light for it. None of the light would be direct. Your juniper tree needs to be outside, year-round, in a bright spot with lots of sunlight. The juniper cannot live indoors or in too much shade.

Be careful not to over water. Juniper doesn't like to stay in wet soil. When you water, water thoroughly so water is running out the drain holes, but then don't water again until the soil has dried. It should be in good bonsai soil which is gritty, mineral and very free draining, not like regular potting soil.

If you still have concerns, please post a couple pictures of your tree.

Welcome to the Forum! Best Wishes with your new little tree.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

There are whole cascades of threads on your subject CBM5200, dive into them will be both helpful to you, and will I'm sure lead to undreamt of questions about your juniper.

Our job as fellow gardeners is not to be the boy with the most trees when he dies. Our job is to make as many other bonsai growers as possible.

Right now I mostly want you to read up on watering technique, and I want you to pick up your tree every day and talk to it. Well, at least breathe on it. You will miss too many changes at arms length.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”