Lonesomedave
Location: NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE- zone 6B - 7A on USDA plant hardiness map

BONSAI(?) JUNIPER HETZII POM POM

OK.....here is what I don't know...I don't know whether to put this in this forum or the tree forum....but, anyway, here goes

today I was at the nursery, and they had a specimen of Juniper Hetzii which had been trimmed into a pom pom shape....it has 5 main stalks and is in a pot about 2 feet in diameter. the tree/pot total about 5 feet or 5 1/2 feet high

it was so striking, I had to pony up and buy it....then came the decision...where to put it and what to do with it

I decided to keep it in the big pot they sold it in, and to treat it as if it were a big bonsai

this is not as crazy as it sounds....for years we had 2 peach trees that were treated exactly this way, root-bound and all, and they were absolutely beautiful....we only lost them when we had to move them to put in the patio

I got them home, put some leaf compost to cover the soil (but left the tree trunks open, and I put in a little very weak manure-tea/fish fertilizer and watered it until water ran out of the bottom of the pot

in winter, I don't see any problems with freezing, as the peach trees I have already mentioned did just fine in identical pots, and I believe this juniper will be more winter hardy than my peach trees.....RIGHT?

assuming I am going to try this experiment...what a bout a feeding/watering schedule....I believe this will need water about every 3 days or so, but I welcome your thoughts

it is in an area where it will get full sunlight

anything I should know?....any potential problems I have missed?...I think you bonsai guys might be just the ones to help me, even though this has got to be the most monster bonsai of all time

I don't plan to re-pot this thing for several years

help...info...thoughts appreciated

/dave/

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”