jacos
Newly Registered

QUERCUS ROBUR - OAK Bonsai

This one has been cultivated in my garden for 8 years.
Pruning, as usual with the hedge saw. And under cutting the roots yearly in autumn.

What do you think..... besides 'Put it in a pot please!'

Before that it was in a bonsai pot nothing more than an advanced seedling. (see photo below)
Around that time I had some health issues and I had to transplant all my bonsai into my vegetable garden.
...Waiting there for better times... The only thing I deed in the meanwhile was pruning the canopes with hedge siccors (2x/year)and cutting the roots with the spade(1x/year)

Better times have come finally... and now this spring, I am going to pot up most of these old ex-bonsai trees.
This Oak is one of the examples.
This year most of the dig up trees will be going in large pots or training crates.
Later on, as form next season 2017, I will try more drastic root pruning and nice smaller real bonsai pots.
quercus mini 2007.jpg
Quercus robur2.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So the first picture is the oak tree when it was a bonsai? Then after that, the bonsai got planted in the ground and maintained that way for 8 years, just with some root pruning and canopy cutting back. After all that, the bottom picture is what it looks like now?

Great argument for lots of patience when developing bonsai! Your oak tree with its huge thick trunk will now make a wonderful bonsai!

Forest oak bonsai:

jacos
Newly Registered

Hello,
That's correct Rainbowgardener.
Patience is needed when doing bonsai.
But imho one doesn't not need a lot of special skills as people sometime assume.
A good dose of horticultural knowledge, common sense an patience get you going a long way.
To often bonsai is seen as some magic hocus-pocus...it is not... only the trees are doing the magic.. the bonsai artist is only a guiding bystander.

Here a picture of the oak in his training pot today.
Quercus robur1.jpg

tomc
Super Green Thumb

White oaks take to root and canopy pruning (and continue to grow) better-faster than red oak do.

Q Robur is in the white oak family.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”