Driver170

Is it OK to fertilize Ficus ginseng without watering?

I have a ficus ginseng. I last watered last month 21st jan and also gave it bonsai plant food. My question is, its coming up 1 month since the last feed and the instructions for the food is to feed monthly during winter, can I go ahead and give it food on the 21st without it being watered again because the soil is still damp. I use the chopstick method.

Cheers

Driver170

Anyone?

imafan26
Mod

If your plant is dormant, I would not really feed it. Wait until it is in active growth. It is good that your are checking the sol moisture. What kind of plant food are you using. If it is a water soluble, just add it when you water next. If it is granular, it should be able to go more than a month.
I prefer to use slow release on the bonsai and most of my plants because I have so many, it is easier to fertilizer 3-4 times a year rather than every month especially since I don't use miracle grow on the yard anymore.

Driver170

Hi I have a Ficus microcarpa.

My ficus is still growing very actively new shoots coming through.

I just fed it per the instructions its been a month now since the last feed and water. The soil is still damp below

I'm using this water soluble food -
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Then just add it when you water next. Your tree looks very healthy. I myself would not feed it as often, since I don't want rampant growth and I don't want ot have to trim more often. I suspect your fertilizer is hight nitrogen.

Driver170

yeh very true I'll leave feeding until I water the second time as I have just fed my plant.

I took a picture of my ingredients not sure if thats high in Nitrogen.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”