thejohnman
Newly Registered

Juniper death? Picture attatched

Hey all. I got a bonsai tree last summer when my grandmother passed. It was slightly an impulse buy from a flower shop, but something I got really excited about. I read a few books and she (tree, "Lady Maw") was doing very well for awhile. I believe it to be a juniper. It is my first.

I live in the greater Boston area and went home over the winter without getting anyone to water her. I believe she is now dead. The leaves are all brittle (still green) and break quickly, and I haven't seen any new growth. A couple of websites said to cut a little bark off to see if there was sap or some signs of life, but I don't know what that looks like. Here is a picture of the slash I made.
The attachment 20160203_172906.jpg is no longer available
Let me know of anything I can do if she still lives! If she is dead, some suggestions on what type of tree I might be able to grow in this area are more than welcome.

Much love,
thejohnman
Attachments
20160203_172906.jpg

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

thejohnman,

From the limited view I'd say that it is not dead just yet. The bark test is difficult with Junipers, they don't seem to show a vibrant color like deciduous trees do.
I live in the greater Boston area and went home over the winter without getting anyone to water her.
Are we to infer that you are keeping it inside?

imafan26
Mod

If it still has some green it may still be hanging on. Watering would definitely be an issue. If it is still alive it may show some rebound albeit very slowly. It will not try to save the worst of the leaves the plant will have already sacrificed them. The hardest thing with a juniper is that it really is not an indoor tree. If it has been inside for a while, it cannot be just thrown out into the light either. If the tree does start to rebound, gradually move it outside to a sheltered spot. It may be touch and go as that can also be a shock as well, and it still may not make it, but it is worth a try .

thejohnman
Newly Registered

Thank you guys so much.

I have faith! I am keeping her inside, but she's seen quite a bit of growth indoors... I've got her in a southern window and I sing to her, haha.

I read that they can like an acid bath. I bought one with 30%Nitrogen, 10%Phosphate, 10%Soluble Potash and the rest is filled in by small amounts of copper, iron, manganese, molybdenum, and zinc. Overall rating is, as mentioned above, 30-10-10. Would this be beneficial in terms of regrowth, or even at all?

Thanks again

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

thejohnman,

Your plant is severely stressed and the prognosis is not good, Juniper is a very poor choice for indoor culture. Are you able/willing to relocate this plant outdoors? Do you have any options regarding alternate, cooler, locations?

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”