kingkaplan
Newly Registered

Jade Bonsai

Hello! I have this variegated Jade that I want to make into a bonsai. It is mid-January and it is pushing new growth. I'm surprised that it is growing new leaves at this time of year and I didn't know if I should take some leaves/branches off now, or wait until its warmer out even though I am keeping it inside my dorm. If I should pinch anything off, what should I remove? This is my first bonsai so any help/comments are greatly appreciated!
Jade
Jade

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your little jade plant cutting doesn't have much resemblance to bonsai yet. Personally I would repot it into a larger pot and just let it grow for a few years. I'm not a big fan of jade as a bonsai subject (which is nothing but personal opinion/ taste). In my opinion, the only thing that makes a jade plant approach the look of bonsai is when they have a good thick trunk:

The trunk on yours won't thicken up if the plant is kept small in a small pot.

But hopefully someone with more bonsai experience and will come along and be more helpful in terms of what you are actually asking.

kingkaplan
Newly Registered

Good idea! How long should I keep it in the pot? Should I cut anything off while I have it in the pot? I am also going to feed it with miracle-gro's succulent fertalizer

garmy yo
Cool Member

It seems as though you are anxious to do something with your jade, and right now the only thing to do is cut something off. Training your potensai will be 99% doing nothing and 1% doing something. So the best thing you can do now is just keep her happy and healthy.

kingkaplan
Newly Registered

I want my bonsai to look as good as possible, so if that means I need to wait, then I will. Should I cut something off now?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

https://www.bonsaimary.com/Jade-Bonsai.html

Just let it grow for awhile and learn how to keep it happy and healthy! Plenty of time to cut later when it is better established and more able to withstand it.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”