AlohaBee
Newly Registered

Hawaiian Umbrella Bonsai sick?

Hi,
I just recieved my bonsai 4 days ago by mail, and I noticed that some of the leaves have turned yellowish green and on the bottom side they look brown and it spreds to the "stems" of the leaves.

This is my first time trying to keep any kind of plant and all I've learned on this tree has been online.

I've watered it twice and I keep a humidity tray under it.
Is my tree sick, or are the leaves fine?

Thanks in advance.

alexinoklahoma

Welcome to the Board, 'Bee...

This 'symptom' is not uncommon after a mail-order as plant may have been in total darkness quite a while. And possibly bounced around by the 'gorillas/trucks of delivery services', LOL. Plus there's a good chance the plant is in cruddy ill-advised soil-mix (usually, but not always, of course). Do not add any fertilizer right now as you have no idea if any was added before it was shipped, and better to have not enough than too much. Getting t on a 'schedule' that you know about is the important thing right now - start from scatch essentially :)

You'll want to give us details such as soil make-up (like houseplant soil or a gritty-type of make-up per se), and be sure to not overwater, have correct soil-mix, proper (very-bright) lighting, etc. When a plant is losing leaves, it is unable to take up water as fast as 'usual' so watering frequency goes way down quite often - only water when soil is semi-dry to ~1/2" to 1" deep or so; scheffs are fairly tolerant of more-moist soil, but its a fine-line between soggy-bad and acceptable, so better to err on more-dry side of moisture-range(s); make sense??.

Lots of 'schefflera' threads here, and be a good idea to browse around to get a feel for what is needed for that species. Many common-mistakes posted in recent-past which makes the 'searching' easier for you, fortunately huh? :)

Chances are those leaves will die/fall off in short order, and its OK to remove them if they get really bad. Not a big deal, and somewhat expected, to be honest. Plant should replace them soon enough with healthy new foliage assuming that soil is decent and lighting is appropriate.

There's some general info in the 'stickies' here, and much more detailed 'bonsai culture' can be learned at www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm Schefflera does not really fall into a 'typical' deciduous bonsai category with it being fairly 'tropical', but the basics definitely apply :) Be sure to read the two articles for "Beginners" and go from there. We're happy to clarify stuff that is 'advanced' for you, but is easy once the basics are understood. Its not like 'houseplants', so forget *anything* you knew about such (please!! I say that with humor, of course)

HTH,
Alex

AlohaBee
Newly Registered

Thanks for the friendly advice Alex,
I'll be sure to read more on it once I have a little more time,
but for the time being you've reassured me.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”