Ry0277
Newly Registered

Help with Golden gate bonsai

My bonsai which I think is a golden gate bonsai by comparing them is looking like it's completely dead. :( it was given to me as a gift and was always beautiful and I never had any problems with it. I ended up in the hospital for 3 months at which time it was moved to a friends house who did not take care of it at all. They just aren't plant people. Anyway my bonsai has no leaves at all period. I don't know how to tell if the trunk is dead but if it isn't I will do anything to save it. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Three months without water is a killer. Sorry.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Tom is pretty much right. But the test is scrape a little bark off the trunk (just with a fingernail), see if there is green underneath. Green and moist = trunk still has life. Brown and dry = dead.

edubois111684
Newly Registered

I have same problem, all the leaves fell, the base of the tree is green but the top is dead. Should I cut it off? What can I do ? What type of fertilizer?
Attachments
20161102_131630.jpg

imafan26
Mod

It looks like a ficus. if the trunk is alive only cut back what is obviously dead. Ficus will drop leaves whenever you change its' light. If it is alive the leaves will grow back. Once it is healthy, repot it, the soil looks old. Keep it in one place and don't move it around except to turn it. Check watering with the chopstick method. I would not fertilize until you know it is growing.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”