Juliew

Help With Determining Moisture Level

I understand that bonsai have sensitive water needs. I've read that you can check if the soil is moist or not by sticking your finger into the soil, or by pushing a chopstick into the soil. I've been using a wooden skewer with a fairly small diameter (about 1/3 the size of a pencil). My problem is that I cannot stick it in further than about 1/2", maybe a little more. Is this sufficient to check the moisture? I'm afraid that I could be hitting roots and causing damage. Any and all answers/suggestions would be appreciated :D

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Juliew,

I don't use that method much these days but here is how I have done it in the past. Find a spot in the soil where you can insert the skewer and leave it in place. Remove daily to check moisture then return to the same location. It might take a little effort at first but you will find a spot that works.

Juliew

Thank you Gnome, I will give that a try!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

If your soil is compacted enough to resist a probe, its compacted enough to need to be jabbed about a hundred times to loosen soil some and to ease water penetrating soil better.

Your trees roots are up to the probing.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”