Joep

Spitermite or blackspot?

Hello,

My fukien tea bonsai has been losing alot of leave, I have noticed alot of different patterns on the leaves such as blackspot see some photos attached below. I also find half leaves hanging on the tree, I don't know where the other half went. What should I do should I spray it with this: https://www.kaizenbonsai.com/bonsai-invi ... -fungicide

Thank you.
Attachments
11737080_700545683390801_631840914_n.jpg
11717110_700545353390834_247512498_n.jpg
11733307_700544706724232_1487824672_n.jpg

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

WHERE are you located & what's the environment of your tree. Fukien Tree is an outdoor bonsai that is hardy down to as LEAST 40 degrees Fahrenheit. So if you've been keeping yours indoors, that most likely is the biggest problem re: your tree's health. I don't see any signs of "Black Spot", & a Spider Mite infestation would be easily spotted by their webs. Just randomly spraying it with a fungicide or insecticide won't help.

Again - where are you located & what's the environment/culture of your tree?

Joep

I'm currently climating the tree to going outside full time, on the balcony here it will receive morning sun and shade for the rest of the day. I live in London on a quite busy street don't know if that would affect the tree. Yet I was worried for spidermite as I removed some white web like material in between the crack of the tree.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Then it could easily be Spider Mites. They LOVE low light & low humidity, which is what your plant has most likely been getting. Try to gently rinse the leaves under slow running water to get as many of the mites & their webs off as possible. Then get that tree acclimated to the outdoor asap!!!! If the mites return, do a plain-water rinse again, but if they persist after that, try an organic brand of insecticidal soap spray. "Safer" is a good one if it's available to you.

Joep

I forgot to mention that I mist my tree every morning, yet Ive stopped doing that when leave drop became worse, should I continue misting the plant. And what is a plain water rinse, and should I continue fertilizing my plant? Thank you for your reply

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Stop the misting, & a plain-water rinse is just what it sounds like - gently rinse off the leaves (both top & bottoms of leaves) & branches with plain water. Most easily done in your kitchen sink. Also cease fertilizing until there's no more signs of pests/disease on your tree. Fertilizing an already stressed-out tree just adds to the stress.

Joep

And if the rinse does not work, is the pesticide https://www.kaizenbonsai.com/bonsai-invi ... -fungicide a good one to use as I cant find the one you sugested

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

While I'm not familiar with the product so can't give you first-hand experience, I don't see anything at all strong or harmful in that. Just follow the directions & don't overdo it.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”