Iamanewby
Newly Registered

Please Help. Charred trunk? How to care for red maple.

Hi,

I got a bonsai as a birthday present (Cool beans!) The trunk it's like charred from one side and looks super old then the upper trunk continuation of course looks newer so it looks really odd.

My sister paid $120-150 for the tree. Also when I got it most of the leaves were burned so I had to trim them. I am grateful for the gift but don't know if my sister overpaid so it makes me feel a little bit bad about it.

Anyways, what is the dark charred tissue on the trunk? Does the tree looks healthy? Also, what are all those lumps in the trunk? what about the spots on the leafs? As you see I am a noob. What is the best way to keep it healthy. I have a chopstick in the soil and its damped when I press it to my cheek.

Do you think the trunk adds character to it? Did my sister got a good deal?

I have an elm that I have cared for a few years now but I chose an elm for a reason as my first bonsai. This tree is a red maple or dehojo, 13 year old, 2 inch trunk and 12 inches. The pot measures 11 inches.

Any help would be appreciated. :D
Attachments
IMG_5870.jpeg
IMG_5809.jpeg
IMG_5678.jpeg
IMG_3223.jpeg
IMG_2818.jpeg
IMG_2297.jpeg
IMG_1050.JPG
IMG_1049.JPG

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Iamanewby,

Hello and welcome. I suspect that your tree has experienced some sort of fungal issue but I'm not sure of specifics. Hopefully someone else can help more. Perhaps you could inquire in the tree forum with a link back here. Sorry I can't help more.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I'm not really seeing the "charring" you speak of. "Charring" used to be a common method of cauterizing wounds caused by working with older/larger bonsai, but isn't really recommended as a healthy method these days. That doesn't mean the method still isn't used. Regardless, I don't think any "charring" that was done way back when is what might be affecting the health of your tree.

As to whether or not your sister got a "good deal", that's going to be a subjective topic that I am not an expert on. While the trunk does show some character, I'd like to see the leaves coming in a LOT smaller rather than full-size Red-Maple leaves.

ener
Newly Registered

Hi,

I am new in this web but I have some knowledge about maples (and bonsai).
Maples like so much water and humity. If leaves have no water, they will burn. But your localition is so important in this case, because in a warm weather red maple can't survive (or it will survive but with suffering...).

Don't worry about trunk... Keep an eye on leaves better.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Unfortunately the OP has not returned, nor has he/she provided where they are located, which is an UBER IMPORTANT POINT as far as gardening is concerned. Thus no way to judge what the tree's environment is like.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”