MaidenOfGondor
Newly Registered

Keeping a Japanese Juniper inside

I just recently acquired a Japanese juniper bonsai, this is my first bonsai and I have wanted one forever. I've done a lot of research about bonsai in general and know that they thrive outside. Unfortunately, this is rather bad timing for me because I will be leaving for college in a few months and the area in which I live now is not very suitable to growing outside (Deer, dogs, cats, rabbits and more have already knocked over many of the plants that I have tried to grow on my porch).
Both my bedroom at home and my dorm room have access to south facing windows and I leave my window open during the day for air circulation.

I am incredibly leery of leaving the bonsai at home when I go to school because my mother cannot really handle the responsibility of it. I've thought of trying to craft a sort of netted/meshed box that I could extend from my window to hold it outside and protect it from miscellaneous animals however, my dorm room is on the first floor and I wouldn't put it past some people at my school to find it amusing to mess with it if they could.

Any possible suggestions or hints would be incredibly appreciated. I am desperate to try anything I can to keep this bonsai alive and all help is welcome. Thank you so much.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

MaidenOfGondor,

Unfortunately for you, a Juniper is not at all appropriate for indoor culture. Many have tried... Much better to acknowledge the inevitable and adapt. If your only choice is indoor culture, look to tropicals such as Ficus or Schefflera.

Perhaps you could find a spot in your parents landscape that would allow you to plant it out. Four years, or more, in the ground will help to thicken the trunk and take the pressure off you while you begin to explore your new obsession.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I second the fact that your Juniper will NOT survive indoors. Ain't gonna happen.

MaidenOfGondor
Newly Registered

Gnome,

Thank you so much. I discussed it more with my mother and we found a spot in her fenced in garden for it. She's going to watch me care for it and see if she can when I go back to school.

If it comes to planting it, will I be able to recover the plant as a bonsai in a few years?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

MaidenOfGondor,

Yes, in fact most of the best bonsai are collected, either from the wild (see Yamadori) or the urban landscape.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”