Molli
Newly Registered

My Chinese Elm

I have a Chinese Elm I bought on-line a few months ago, I think it is only a couple of years old maybe 2. At first it was doing just fine then it lost almost all of its leaves. I bought a light for it, because it is kept inside. Then it came back with lots of new growth and new leaves. Then I noticed aphids on the tree, little green bugs I sprayed it with soapy water every day for a week. I think all the bugs are gone but now only three leaves remain on the tree. Their is some new buds on it. Is this loss of leaves normal or was it the bugs? Also my tree does not have any moss around it, how do I get the nice green moss around my tree?

alexinoklahoma

Hi Molli...

Firstly - is the elm in 'decent' soil? Gritty and free-draining? Or is it clayish and 'baked' appearing? That will affect many, many, many things, fwiw. But, on the aphids - make sure you get up under the leaves also, even plain water works if forceful enough. Now...elms tend to shed leaves when stressed (as you have learned), and stress can be from many things, including 'aphids', which kill leaves (basically).

If the tree is in decent, well-draining soil and *properly* fertilized, things should be alright in a short while. However, more stress/leaf-loss will severely weaken and/or perhaps doom the tree from lack of 'energy input' to support releafing (so to speak). The indoor light is going to have to be VERY strong (read as expensive, fwiw) to make any difference with elm, IME - sunlight is, by far, superior.

Chances are the tree lost first set of leaves from shipping, next set from the 'bugs', and if things are not great/ideal for tree for next year or so, its likely going to belly-up on you ;)

You do *not* want moss around your tree. The pretty pics seen with moss are for 'show', and not functional in any way. Moss will cause soggy soil, root-rot, loss of aeration to roots, etc. Bad (no...horrible) idea overall. For moss, you would need it to be soggy, and that'll kill the tree. You can have one or the other, but elms (and most potted trees) and moss are oil/water essentially ;)

I have a number of elms outdoors in Oklahoma sun, wind, ice and they do great. Once, I tried keeping one inside under 'strong' fluoro lights (reflectors and all), and was VERY disappointed in comparison to the ones outside.

For now, assure good soil, water sparingly as fewer leaves equals less water uptake, and give it some good photonic input (good ol' Fla sun!). It is going to take at least several months for tree to get up enough 'energy'/nutrition to releaf. DO NOT overfert as this will kill it - and I mention this as it is so common for 'beginners' to overfert when things are going poorly (no offense intended).

I hope this little bit helps - its a totally different world with elms than compared to other 'potted' plants ;)

Alex

Molli
Newly Registered

Hi Alex

I think my elm is in decent soil, it is free-draining and dose not appear clayish or baked. I think all the aphids are gone, and the tree has some new
green buds on it. If my poor elm does go belly up, what is a good Bonsai to keep indoors?
Thank you, you have been really helpful
Molli

arboricola

Hi Molli

Good advice on your elm so I won't add to that..

As for an indoor bonsai, I recommend Schefflera Arboricola..It can tolerate a fairy wide range of light conditions. I have one that's been growing under a two foot fluorescent fixture for the past 4 years, but a window with strong indirect light will work just fine. Water only as needed. I use distilled water so chlorine, fluorine and disolved salts are not an issue. Feed the tree every two weeks during the summer growing season and once a month during winter. If all goes well it will bloom for you in early to mid spring. Will be happy to answer any questions you might have....
P.T.H.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”