berylium copper
Newly Registered

Australian Cherry Bonsai zone 5

Just received great gift of beautiful Australian Cherry bonsai. Curious about how much time outdoors at what temperatures to provide proper dormancy, etc. Any ideas for a zone 5 climate?

ynot
Greener Thumb

berylium copper wrote:Just received great gift of beautiful Australian Cherry bonsai. Curious about how much time outdoors at what temperatures to provide proper dormancy, etc.
Eugenia Uniflora [Also called 'Surinam Cherry'] is a sub-tropical plant and many people treat them as tropicals and overwinter them indoors [Your call, I don't think I would subject it to your winters by any means.]
I am unaware of the benefits of dormancy vs overwintering indoors for these as I don't grow them.
I do often see them sold as 'indoor bonsai'...
berylium copper wrote:Any ideas for a zone 5 climate?
Which Zone do you refer to? Sunset Or [url=https://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-sm1.html]USDA[/url]

USDA says 'Zone 5' [A or B] Temps = -10 to -20F for Colorado & this is not going to make your cherry very happy.

Sunset ZONE 5. =
Ocean-influenced Northwest Coast and Puget Sound
Growing season: mid-April to Nov., typically with cool temperatures throughout. Less rain falls here than in Zone 4; winter lows range from 28 degrees to 1 degree F/-2 degrees to -17 degrees C. This "English garden" climate is ideal for rhododendrons and many rock garden plants.
That doesn't sound like Colorado to me...lol ;)

BTW - https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57945/ Says they will tolerate near freezing but this is for established IN GROUND trees.

ynot

berylium copper
Newly Registered

Thanks, Ynot. Looks like it's indoors in the Winter! Thanks for your insight and generous offer of information. Very helpful!!

ynot
Greener Thumb

berylium copper wrote:Thanks, Ynot. Looks like it's indoors in the Winter! Thanks for your insight and generous offer of information. Very helpful!!
Your very welcome 8) :D.

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”