mmarsula
Newly Registered

Starting out in the world of bonsai

Before I go out and make an investment, I'm just trying to consider my options. After seeing [url=https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=T1K-t9kJU40]this video[/url], I decided I'm not going to start from seeds, since I really want to start out as soon as possible without buying a trained bonsai.

Should I try any particular styles just to start out? I'd really like to make a cascading bonsai, but I'm not sure if it's good to start with something like that. Also, since it's getting to the end of summer, when would be the best time to get a tree to start training a bonsai? I'd really like to start right away, but I could wait until spring if it's best.

I think it would be helpful to hear how some of you began working with bonsai.

tommywing

Hi there,

Welcome to the site!

Here is how I started (learn from my mistakes!)

I bought a Serissa - Error, don't buy a tropical tree if you live in a non tropical country!!!

Then I bought a Chinese elm - this was a great idea, they are very ahrdy, can be kept indoors, and with proper care (soil, feeding, watering, sunshine) grow very quickly.

I also bought a Cotoneaster and cut it's roots and size into a decent shape and planted it in a bonsai pot, to leave for a year to see what happens!

I also bought a Mugo Pine seedling and did the same.

I did an air layer on an adult Japanese maple which has worked! (see below)

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/ornamentals/airlayer/airlayer.html

And I found some seedlings in the garden which are now in peat pots settling in.

So you have a vast array of options, but be patient and read a lot and you will be rewarded.

Good luck

Tommywing

mmarsula
Newly Registered

tommywing wrote: I did an air layer on an adult Japanese maple which has worked!
I was thinking about getting a Japanese maple. I saw a Bloodgood Japanese maple at Home Depot that would have been nice, but it looked a bit sickly, and I'm not sure how successful I would be at raising it to spend the $50 on it.

I almost bought a Conica Alberta spruce today, but after a little research, it seems that's not quite a good choice either. I guess I'll just have to keep looking until I find something fairly cheap that I can use to learn on, and hopefully keep for many years.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

mmarsula,

Hello neighbor? I'm glad to hear that you are doing your research first, you can avoid a lot of problems with a little forethought.
I was thinking about getting a Japanese maple. I saw a Bloodgood Japanese maple at Home Depot that would have been nice, but it looked a bit sickly, and I'm not sure how successful I would be at raising it to spend the $50 on it.
Good move, this time of year the better Maples have already been purchased. Hold off until next spring if you still want one. There are other choices beside Bloodgood as well, even if you have to go the mail order route.
I almost bought a Conica Alberta spruce today, but after a little research, it seems that's not quite a good choice either.
Again I agree, despite appearing to have promise most experienced growers avoid this species. You can always get one in the future if you really want to try one. Not a good first choice.

I also agree that seedlings are not the best approach for a beginner. There are advantages to growing seedlings but it will take several years before you have anything that remotely resembles a bonsai.
Should I try any particular styles just to start out?
Let the tree you purchase dictate the style or search for a tree that lends itself to the style you like. In other words don't try to force a style that isn't there initially.
Also, since it's getting to the end of summer, when would be the best time to get a tree to start training a bonsai? I'd really like to start right away, but I could wait until spring if it's best.
This largely depends on what species you intend to grow. If you are looking for a temperate tree you won't be doing much in the way of styling now. You can however look at nursery material with an eye toward obtaining some stock for next year. The box stores often put all of their material on sale around this time of year and you can get some bargains. If you would like to try a tropical then the season is not nearly the issue it is with temperate species. If you decide to buy now you will be getting a crash course on winter storage. How and where you store your trees will depend on what species you decide on. I keep many of my trees in an unheated garage after they go dormant. I don' usually put them away until around Thanksgiving.

I think Tommywings suggestion regarding a Chinese Elm is a good one, they are one of my favorite species. I have a thread with one of mine in the Bonsai Gallery if you care to take a look, I will be posting an update there soon. I have a slightly different take on the tropicals though. While it is certainly true that it is easier to grow species that are compatible with your climate, it is possible to grow tropicals in our area.

You will have more luck growing a ficus in PA than growing a Maple in the deep south. It is easier to keep a tropical warm inside than it is to provide a chilling period for a temperate tree where it is too hot. Although I do not grow them, Serissa is noted to be somewhat finicky and perhaps not the best choice for a new grower. If you like tropicals a Ficus would be a good first choice. You will have to provide adequate (supplemental?) lighting though and you may not wish to go to the trouble.

Here is a link to Evergreen Garden Works [url=https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm]Bonsai Articles.[/url] Bookmark that site and go back all winter there is so much there that it will take months/years to truly absorb it all. We link to this site frequently because Brent really knows his stuff and is one of the premiere bonsai nurserymen in the country. They also sell starter material of many species that are difficult to locate elsewhere.

Also Check out Harry Harrington's site, [url=https://www.bonsai4me.com/index.htm]Bonsai4Me[/url] There is much information there as well. Don't forget to read the sticky threads at the top of our bonsai forum.
I think it would be helpful to hear how some of you began working with bonsai.
I, as many others have, started with the ever popular "stick in a pot". This is not bonsai, it can be but it will take time. The most important lesson you can learn early on is the importance of starting with decent stock. Bonsai can be developed from nursery stock but choosing the right tree can be tricky. Keep an eye out around your neighborhood for trees or shrubs that are being removed. These can make fine bonsai and are free. I have also found material at the local dump, I once found several dozen Privets that had been carefully dug and discarded. This spring I found two Boxwood, one died but one is in my growing bed and doing well.

Also consider the possibility of purchasing a tree that is further along, a "finished tree" or a pre-bonsai will get you going quickly. Don't feel that this is cheating, there are many roads to bonsai you can follow more than one at a time.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”