pcride
Newly Registered

How do I prune this to a tight shape?

We purchased a pine last year and it was already shaped, planted it last year and its already outgrowing the shape. My question would be how do we prune this tree now? Its currently mid winter in Utah and I would like to trim the overgrowth so the pads/clouds stay nice and tight.

Would I just cut the branch above the branching point/bud ? Not really sure where to trim it without killing an entire branch.

In the spring we will trim the candle back about half way.

Any suggestions or tips would be great and thank you!

https://tinyurl.com/okh8evk

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

you posted this in the bonsai section. I guess that isn't inappropriate since the trimming issues would be at least very similar between your tree and an actual bonsai...

Sounds like you already know pretty much about what you are doing with your tree, so probably you know the main caution with trees like this is not too cut too far back toward the trunk where the wood is hardened and inactive. It won't regrow from there.

I can't help more than that, but I'm sure that someone with more expertise about this will come by soon. Welcome to the Forum!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

pcride,

I don't think reducing the whorl, in the first photo, to a fork, as shown, would be an issue. Beyond that, different species require different strategies and more research will be necessary.

Since this planting is less than a year old, it would be prudent to keep any pruning to a minimum this year. Take the extra time to understand the plant and establish a goal. I've killed some nice material being impatient.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”