iskhan
Cool Member

Repotting the bonsai?

Hi

I try re-potting 4 to 5 different fruit's bonsai trees I.e. Orange, Lemon, Mango but every time the tree die. I don't know what is I am doing wrong?

1st Method: When I see the tree pot is fill with roots then take off the tree from the pot and cut all the thick roots and remove some soil around the tree and then put it center on new pot having layer of soil containing this size O of rocks and then put the mixture of compost and this size of O of rocks around it.

2nd Method: When I see the tree pot is fill with roots then take off the tree from the pot and cut all the thick roots and remove all soil of the tree and then put it center on new pot having layer of soil containing this size O of rocks and then put the mixture of compost and this size of O of rocks around it.

3rd Method: When I see the tree pot is fill with roots then take off the tree from the pot and cut all the thick roots only and then put it center on new pot having layer of soil containing this size O of rocks and then put the mixture of compost and this size of O of rocks around it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Repotting should not kill your tree. I don't know enough to tell from the information you gave if there is something you are doing wrong. Trees should only be repotted when they are actively growing, which for us is spring to mid summer, but in Pakistan that may not make much difference.

Here's some tips about repotting in case it helps:

Repotting should be done in mid-summer. The tree, along with all of its soil, should be removed from the pot. The outer and bottom most fourth of the tree's root mass should be removed. This is done by raking the soil away, then pruning back the roots. In most cases, it is not good to prune back more than one fourth of the tree's root mass. After this, the tree can be placed back in its original pot or into another. The pot should have screen placed over the drainage holes. Then a thin layer of small gravel is placed in the bottom of the pot for drainage purposes. On top of this gravel is placed the new fresh soil. Place a layer of well-draining soil which is sufficient enough to elevate the tree to its previous height in the pot. After placing the tree back in the pot, the area left vacant by the pruned root mass should be filled in with fresh soil. This fresh soil should be worked in around and under the root mass in such a manner as to avoid leaving any air pockets. After repotting, your bonsai should be thoroughly watered. This can be achieved by submerging the entire pot in a tub of water.
https://www.bonsaiboy.com/catalog/cocktailcare.html

iskhan
Cool Member

Here mid summer is very hot approx. 40C to 45C. Is it a right time for repotting?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

probably not. Repotting is a stress, you want to do it when the tree is not going through other stresses. Maybe winter would be better for you.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I still think you want help from growers in the tropics. I do best repotting in my late winter--early spring.

Your soil is also going to have much more organic material in it due to tropical weather.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”