iskhan
Cool Member

How to Stop my Dying Jumbolan or Java plum bonsai

Hi

I have 4 year old Jumbolan bonsai now its green leaves new and old are turning black just like when you put excessive manure in normal plants.
similar like this:

What can do for saving my bonsai?

Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It would help if you could also show us a picture of the whole tree. I never heard of your tree (Jambolan, Java plum, a number of other common names, Eugenia spp ) so I looked it up. I discovered you posted your question on several other forums and I also found this:

Hi
I have 1.5y old jambolan bonsai I need to know that is it important to cut all leaves those are half brown? if yes 70% of my bonsai leaves are half brown??
Post iskhan on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:17 am at internet bonsai club: IBC Forum

That was a couple years ago. Is that the same tree? What did you do then? You didn't really get a response.

I also saw where you posted here:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=27074

in 2010 about being "interested" in jambolan bonsai. Don't know if you actually had one at that time.

and in June 2010 you posted this

Your suggestion required regarding bonsai soil:
I am using 40% sand and 60% Compost for my Almond,Jambolan and Apricot bonsai is it OK?
What kind of fertilizer I use for them and when?
at bonsaitreeforums.

In fact pretty much everything I found on the internet about this tree was you....

You obviously have way more experience with it than anyone here, so why don't you tell us more of your history with it, what has worked, what hasn't, what you have learned. Is this all the same tree you have had since 2010 or have you gone through several of them?

iskhan
Cool Member

Hi
I am amazed you search my bonsai history. Currently I have 5 bonsai each of them is grow from seeds and each of them is different from regular growing bonsai initially when I start every one suggest me the growing bonsai from seeds is not for beginners and trees you want to make bonsai is also not for beginners but I start my own.

I love to show my bonsai but actually I don't have a digital camera so I can't share the images.

Yes this is the same bonsai. In my area no body know bonsai so I create my own bonsai fertilizer and soil and it work fine for me.

The 1st problem I faced is you mention above is half brown leaves when I can't find any solution then I do the ridiculous thing I cut the brown area of every leaf and leave it rest of the leaf and then it recover.

In Jumbolan If I cut any branch then rest of the branch is dry and die.

Here is my inspiration

As an expert what do you think what is the solution of my problem what do you did if any other bonsai have same symptoms?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

You are well into the tropics. My guess would be other growers in the tropics are going to have better advice.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

is the "inspiration" picture your tree or just a picture you found? I found this picture of jambolan tree that looks like sort of a bonsai in training:

https://www.gardenworldimages.co.uk/Imag ... MBOLAN.jpg

If your tree ever gets to where it fruits, those Java plums are really pretty:

https://toptropicals.com/pics/garden/13/ ... 211293.jpg

Re your browning leaves, if what you did before worked, why not keep doing it?

In general that kind of thing is fungal disease. Fungal diseases thrive in conditions of too much humidity/ moisture and not enough air circulation. So for prevention, you want to reverse those things. Keep it well ventilated (maybe even with a little fan, if your conditions are very humid) and let it dry out some between waterings. Fungal infections are better prevented than trying to cure and fungicides work better preventatively. But since you have it, you can try spraying with diluted milk OR baking soda solution OR hydrogen peroxide. Anything you try, you should test on a couple leaves first, be sure your tree isn't too sensitive to it.

applestar
Mod

In line with rainbow gardener's concern about fungal diseases, perhaps you need to sterilize the pruning/cutting instrument before/after each cut if the branches dry up and die after being pruned. You could dip in 10% bleach water, spray with alcohol, or flame the edges.

Generally speaking, too, there is an appropriate season for pruning depending on the plant. I've no idea what that would be for yours, but examples are -- immediately after flowering -- while they are dormant during cold or dry season -- or -- when they are in active growth so sap will freely flow to cleanse the cuts.

iskhan
Cool Member

My bonsai is similar to the image I mentioned. Yes for last 5 to 6 days here too much humidity/ moisture that why the soil is not dry other wise every 2nd day soil is dry.
All the leaves are dropped and only 2 small leaves are there so I can't try spraying with diluted milk OR baking soda solution on it.
One thing I found in the stem just above the soil a green layer may be its algae or fungus any how I remove it with a tooth brush and makes fine holes in the soil for drying the soil.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

algae growing on the trunk would definitely be a sign that it has been staying too moist.

iskhan
Cool Member

Now the soil is 90% dry and trunk is clean so what next?

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”