linstrees
Newly Registered

pomegranate tree help

Every site gives different care instructions and I am confused. I have a pomegranate that looked great 3 weeks ago and has started to wilt lately. It lived at my bfs house till last week. I have removed the tray filled with water and I water it less although sites tell you to douse them. Ive also heard to leave them outdoors in colder weather on some sites but not on others. I live in Michigan if that helps. This poor thing is sad and crusty and id live to revive it if I can. The fingernail trick shows green under the bark so there's hope. I pruned the roots even. One more question.... can I put the roots in a pot and grow another plant with them?

linstrees
Newly Registered

Heres a pic. Do they also go dormant in the winter? My chinese elm looks horrible now too.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Its not left in standing water? (a bad plan)

It is fall

You don't list a location in your signature. I've not seen Poms survive a winter north of Virginia (well, the district).

applestar
Mod

Hmm... Try posting the picture again, it didn't work.

I think "the tray filled with water" sounds suspicious. I'm growing pomegranates from seeds for fun, and they don't like to have their roots stay wet. They are, rather, very drought tolerant.

Winter care for them would probably be the same as around here -- another member {gnome} recommended allowing mine to go dormant -- keep outside until leaves yellow and drop, then in the unheated garage until garage temps threaten to fall below mid-20's or around mid-end of December. (I keep them under fluorescent shop lights since there is no window), then bring them inside in well lit location to revive from hibernation and leaf out. I've done this and also tried leaving them in the garage all winter as long as the temps don't go below mid-20's. Both methods have worked. They get barely watered -- once every two weeks or so -- while dormant.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yeah, tray filled with water? Almost never is it a good idea to leave plants/soil sitting in water.

RE growing new plants from roots. You mean pieces of root you pruned off the main bunch? Not a chance. If you had cut the whole tree off at the base, the whole bottom bunch of roots MIGHT regrow new tree (or might not), but the top part you cut off would die. If you want to propagate it, you can take cuttings if the tree you have is mature enough:

You should take the cuttings November through January off of one-year-old wood.� One source said the cuttings should be six to ten inches long while another source suggested cuttings of twelve to twenty inches in length.� Treat the cuttings with a growth regulator and let them develop some roots in a greenhouse before planting in the spring.� The cuttings are the best way to keep the properties of the original cultivars
https://www.ndsu.edu/pubweb/chiwonlee/pl ... format.htm

Each winter when all the leaves have fallen from this deciduous tree, I create hardwood cuttings from the numerous suckers, or new shoots, which grow from the base of our trees. The pomegranate has a strong tendency to produce suckers from its base and trunk. Because of these numerous suckers, a pomegranate tree without annual training and pruning naturally develops into a large shrub. These suckers are perfect for hardwood cuttings in that they are straight, vigorous, and have plenty of buds, or new growing points. With my hand shears, I cut them about twelve inches long and plant them eleven inches deep to prevent them from drying. The next winter I can dig them up as bare root trees and plant them in their permanent locations. If kept cool and moist, newly collected cuttings can be planted weeks later.
https://patch.com/california/ramona/bp-- ... s-eb34119b

But of course your bonsai probably doesn't have 6" long shoots and I don't know if the bonsai suckers the way the full sized ones do.

linstrees
Newly Registered

Thanks everyone. Ill give up on my pot of roots then and watch for sprouts. Ive had luck with another tree I have (an snowflake ansari) and repotting sprouts from the leaves. This poor pom just looks so hideious that I freaked. Ill wait till spring and watch it bounce back.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”