jooce
Newly Registered

ID help on three baby bonsai trees!

Hello, community, I'm hoping to find out the types of trees that came in a set today. The nursery who sent them neglected to label which is which, so I don't know which care guide to apply to which tree.

I've got the trees labeled "tree1," "tree2" and "tree3." You may note that trees 2 and 3 look similar, but there are subtle differences.

In advance, a hearty "thank you!"
-------------------------------------
Tree1 a

Tree 1b

Tree1 c

--------------------------------
Tree2 a

Tree2 b

-------------------------------
Tree3 a

Tree3 b

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm pretty sure the bottom two trees with the serrated edge leaves are Chinese elm.

Not very sure at all about the top one, but at a guess it might be a sageretia/ bird plum. Hopefully someone else will come along and check me on that. If so, it is a lovely tree for bonsai. It's a tropical evergreen, which makes it good as an indoor tree, since it isn't used to winter dormancy. It has little white flowers in spring and then small black berries later.

Look up some care information for them.

Check out the bonsai care articles here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/bonsai/

The soil in the pictures looks dense and organic, more like potting soil than bonsai soil. That means you will have to be very careful about watering them, since it will retain moisture. Now is not really the best time for repotting, but in the spring you will want to put them in real bonsai soil, which is very loose, gritty, inorganic, and free draining.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”