JohnnySon

Do I trim or not?

Hey guys I was wondering if I start to trim my Jupiter, or do I wait till next year?

Here is a picture of when I first got it back in May.

Heres the second from a couple weeks ago.

You can tell the difference

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Now is not the season to prune or pinch the top of your juniper.

Have you collected soil suitable for bonsai? screen to decrease the drain hole(s)?

Selected an outdoors place for its winters rest?

JohnnySon

Yeah I'm planing on making a wooden box for it. I watched a video on youtube on how to do it. Still gotta get the soil, when do replace the soil before winter? Also when I do it do I just take the bonsai out of the pot and take off the access soil from the bottom (not all of it of course) then put the soil in the pot? I also seen that done with a bonsai on youtube, or is that something different?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

April or May will come to Ellyra (or Albany) and we are going to lift up our trees from their pots. Rake out some of the old soil with a chop-stick from bottom aqnd sides. Prune out any obviously dead roots.

We are then going to re-seat screen and wire our tree to the pot on top of a layer of fresh soil. Replace and vigorously tamp fresh soil in with the other end of your chop stick. Two to four weeks later your going to top prune. Go lightly this year your feet have not yet filled the pot.

JohnnySon

What kinda soil for my bonsai when I buy it?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Cactus soil is widely available at big-box stores.

If you are repotting several trees Granite grit is available at your local Blue Seal feed store as well as soil conditioner-bark mulch.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”