Francois
Newly Registered

Acacia burkei repotting

Hi,

Need some advise please I am new to bonzai growing, I have a acacia burkei and would want to plant it into a nice bonzai pot. Problem is the tree has always been in a normal deep flower pot so the root system is to big and developed to just plant it and I know I need to prune the roots but is it wise to just cut the whole tap root off in one go? The tree is about 6 years old.

Would appreciate any suggestions... :?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

NO! I think you would be at risk of killing your tree if you cut the whole root of enough to put it in a little bonsai pot, all at once.

You need to gradually shorten the tap root over a period of something like 4 growing seasons. As you shorten the tap root, it will force a number of adventitious roots to develop. In time, this will produce a workable flat root system. Each time as you gradually prune the roots, you should also prune the canopy to an equivalent degree, so that the smaller root system has a smaller branch/leaf system to support. And you will need to have a series of gradually smaller pots to put it in, until you get it to bonsai pot size.

Francois
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply, that's what I thought just read on another post someone saying you should cut it off and that scared me! So when I trim the roots should I prune some of the smaller roots as well? And off course the top as well how much would be to much maybe a third of all the roots?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Francois, there are people are bold at the bench when repotting. RBG and I are not of that mind. It don't make either camp right or wrong, just different.

If there are not a whole lot of adventitous roots already growing shallowly, IMO you run the risk of cutting off the trees means to feed and water itself.

Leave at least a third of the fine roots, after you have washed roots bare (in order to see). Your spring should be coming soon repot then.

One years root pruning leads to the next, you'll get there in time.

If you ever get a chance post a photo of your acasia, I at least would like to compare it to pithecellobium flexicaule.

Francois
Newly Registered

Hanks Tomc...will post a pic as soon as I can. Really appreciate the help gonna replant and trim tmrw probably. Excited now!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”